Beaver Schmeaver....

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

Flying the old beaver yesterday and it won't stop flying left wing low and wanting to trun left. Tried to correct with rudder trim, but still wants to fly wing low?? Also, what controls the heading when on autopilot on the beav??

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Is this maybe because of torque?? ❓

Pro Member First Officer

I wouldn't think so as it was occuring during level flight at cruise setting. Also, dialing in rudder trim didn't resovle the wing low attitude? Maybe it was that xtra cheese burger at the 'AllFly Inn" in Ketchikan???

Pro Member Trainee
Mark (totallyfrozen) Trainee

7ECA-Captain wrote:

...Maybe it was that xtra cheese burger at the 'AllFly Inn" in Ketchikan???

HA! That's funny!
I had the same problem flying the Beaver (the stock plane that came with FSX). I've tried rudder trim. I've tried aileron trim. I've tried feathering the prop to change the torque. I've even tried combinations of these. Nothing worked.
I have a turbo Beaver amphib addon from Premier Aircraft Design and it doesn't have that problem.
I had flown the FSX Beaver and just let the controls go to see what the plane would to. It turns to the left eventually reaching 20 and then 30 degrees. Quickly, the plane wanted to go into a left spin and crash. I haven't figured out how to get it to stabilize.

Pro Member First Officer

I've never had It happen before, but this time it was very noticable. I'm guessing Gremlins.

Pro Member Trainee

7ECA-Captain wrote:

...I'm guessing Gremlins.

Well, we all know...Microsoft is da Debil!

Pro Member First Officer

Fer Sure... 😎
BTW Where in Alaska Frozen???

Pro Member Trainee

7ECA-Captain wrote:

Fer Sure... 😎
BTW Where in Alaska Frozen???

Anchorage
Are you up here too?

Pro Member First Officer

Only in Sim my friend. I am yet to get up there but one day in the real world I hope to. 😎

Pro Member Trainee

7ECA-Captain wrote:

Only in Sim my friend. I am yet to get up there but one day in the real world I hope to. 😎

This is a pilot's dreamland! I'm sure you're already aware that the number of pilots per capita up here is higher than in any other state. It's harder to find someone WITHOUT a pilot's license (I'm one of the few left, I guess) than it is to find someone with one. The scenery up here REALLY looks like a postcard in every direction. I hope you can make it up here one day, rent a plane (or bring your own), and take a good look around.

Pro Member First Officer

I would love to get my Citabria up there. Even in Sim there seems to be a lot of places to see. Lots of airstrips, I think Alaska is one the last places where aviation will survive for the little guys. Being local so to speak, are there any areas in FSX Alaska you'd recomend taking a look at?

Pro Member First Officer

Hmmm, come to think of it that might be a cool FSX trip, maybe fly the Alaska highway from Edmonton Alberta up to Fairbanks via Whitehorse and Dawson Creek. 😎

Pro Member Trainee

7ECA-Captain wrote:

I would love to get my Citabria up there. Even in Sim there seems to be a lot of places to see. Lots of airstrips, I think Alaska is one the last places where aviation will survive for the little guys. Being local so to speak, are there any areas in FSX Alaska you'd recomend taking a look at?

Well, there are two sides to that coin. Alaska is beautiful and the weather can be atrocious. So, I have putted around the region (south central) a little bit in the Sim world, but I haven't flown too much around here because this summer the weather's been very crappy (coldest on record). Skies have usually been overcast (and low too! avg 3K ft) and rainy. I could putt around in Fair Weather but I just haven't.
Flying with Real World Weather can be a challege. Alaska's one BIG piece of dirt! Anchorage to Fairbanks is 350 miles (by road). The state's 2/3 the size of the continental US. So, pack your lunch and bring a gas can! 😂
If you want a real challenge, fly into Valdez (pronouned Val-Deez) Alaska...mountains on 3 sides and the sea on the 4th! One way in/one way out. Oh yeah...and it's nealy always windy! 😳

Seriously, if FSX has done a decent job or representing the state in the Scenery files, there are many beautiful lakes (literally thousands) and tall mountains. Nealry every little lake or bay area has an old rustic cabin somewhere next to it. In real life, there are literally THOUSANDS of airstrips ALL OVER this state. I don't know how many of those actually appear in FSX.

Here's a completely unsolicited plug:
If you are honestly curious about flying in Alaska and the scenery up here, there is a book out (my dad wrote it, that's why I consider this a "plug") about his 30 years of being a bush pilot up here.
http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Alaska-Wild-Adventures-Misadventures/dp/0896585891/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218944670&sr=1-1
While (honestly), the writing isn't the BEST around (keep in mind, he's an old pilot; not a college professor), the stories are true and give an inside look into Alaska bush flying. He doesn't JUST describe places, events, and scenery (which are pretty interesting); he also describes Bush flying techniques (which I find pretty fascinating). I don't/won't get any money from the book. I just mention it as an FYI.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks for the info. Being from Calgary, Alberta , I'm no stranger to the cold, and crappy weather. I have a brother in yellowknife and have flown up their twice during the winter in a 172 (real world) I appreciated the word cold, when you need to keep the aircraft inside or it will freeze solid. I don't mind the plug for your dad's book, and will check it out. Always up for a good flying book.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...