taxi steering

Pro Member Trainee
mitch0508 Trainee

hi

When your taxiing do you steer with the yoke or the rudder pedals?

Thanks in advance

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Concorde105 First Officer

I believe it is the rudder pedals. Yes, yes, from my knowledge, it is.

🙂 Good luck with that taxi'n.

Concorde105

Pro Member Trainee
Mark (totallyfrozen) Trainee

Definitely the rudder pedals.

The yoke is only going to move your ailerons which are movable surfaces, usually near the trailing edge of a wing, that control the roll of the airframe or effects maneuvers, as banks and the like.

Since the ailerons control banks, and the while the plane is on the ground it's not able to bank (because it's level on the ground) the ailerons aren't going to have an effect.

The pedals control the rudder (in some planes they steer the wheels also). Since the rudder is on your verticle stabilizer and controls your yaw (basically "spinning" the plane left or right while level) they are able to steer the plane left or right while on the ground.

Taking some of the lessons in the Lessons section of the Learning Center in FSX will go a long way toward helping you understand the basics.

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

Rudder pedals and brakes. On twins you can also control direction with power adjustment of the engines to make or assist in turns. The yoke is used in ground operations only to deflect the wind so you don't end up upside down in windy conditions. It might look like a steering wheel, but even in the air...it does not function as one. Of course on larger types there is a teeny tiny little steering wheel on the Captains side which is in fact a nose wheel steering wheel.
Cheers

Pro Member Trainee
Mark (totallyfrozen) Trainee

7ECA-Captain wrote:

...The yoke is used in ground operations only to deflect the wind so you don't end up upside down in windy conditions...
Cheers

Oh yeah! I didn't think about that.

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

I've known students who tried to steer with the yoke... with interesting deviations from desired track. 🙄

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...