Engine Start Up issues

Pro Member Trainee
FlyPast Trainee

I am encountering a persistent problem with the Level D 767 during engine start up in free flight dark and cold.

I follow the instructions to the letter, however each engine only ever spins up to about 10% very slowly and then does not actually fire up. I have SP2. I did have the acceleration pack but removed this. Any ideas what I could do to fix this? Do I need to re-install everything?

One other thing I've noticed is that on setting a free flight as a default flight, when I reload FSX it does not reload the default flight but goes back to the hanglider flight default.

Thanks

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

The LDS 76 is unacceptably buggy for a payware airplane.

Keep the starters on, when I start it usually it'll spin up, die, and then spin up again at which point it'll start up properly.

Also, don't bother doing the perf init page until after the engines are running; it resets after the first engine starts and you'll lose the data entered. (These are both bugs that are acknowledged by level D but they have yet to fix...)

Pro Member Trainee
FlyPast Trainee

Will re-installation sort the issue? (start up is fine via a mission for instance)

Also, any ideas about the lack of retention of Default Start up flight details?

Pro Member First Officer

I don't think re-installation would fix it, it's a problem with the plane, not the installation. You're welcome to try though 😀

As far as the default flight not sticking, I'm not sure what could cause that... Make sure that FS is shutting down properly after you change that setting; if it crashes then it won't be saved.

Pro Member Trainee
Simmy Trainee

I had the same problem with 737 Pilot in Charge starting from a cold and dark cockpit. I tried all sorts then I set the mixture control on my throttle quadrant to RICH and the engines fired up like a dream.

Simmy

Pro Member First Officer

Oh man, I completely forgot about that!

With most of the jets in FSX, the mixture control isn't present anywhere in the cockpit, but controls some sort of imaginary fuel cutoff. It happens with all of the FSX default jets, but usually the more expensive payware addons aren't subject to that problem because they're coded from the ground up.

And yeah, i just loaded up FSX and checked; wherever your mixture is set doesn't have any impact on the LD76.

The startup procedure-

APU on
APU bleed on
C ISLN valve Open
Both engine bleed valves Open
Fuel Cutoff switches off
Packs off (Important!)
Appropriate fuel pumps on
Right engine starter selecter to GND
Wait till you have 10-15% N2 then
Fuel Cutoff switch to On.
-The engine should spin up, then due to bugs in the plane, die, and then spin up and start.
Repeat for left engine.
Check that the L and R gen cont switches are on, then
Packs on and apu off.

Is this what you're doing? It sounds like you might be forgetting to turn on the fuel cutoff switches, or turn off the packs.

Pro Member Trainee
Simmy Trainee

I cannot see a Fuel Cutoff switch in Just Flights 737 Pilot in Command cockpit.
The procedure you describe is the one I follow except for the Cutoff switch.

Simmy

Pro Member First Officer

I was referring to the LD76, but the fuel cutoff switches are usually on the back of the throttle quadrant.

Pro Member Trainee
Simmy Trainee

Thanks I found them. They are set to IDLE and when I turn them off they jump back to idle. Is this the norm?

Simmy

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...