From 2.33 GHz Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 to what....

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

I ended up getting this particular processor with this motherboard but it's a 2.3 GHz, Quad. I've heard so much about how FSX is really cpu driven and so I thought about upgrading to a E8400 3.0GHz, Duo 2 Core but wasnt sure of this processor would be much of a jump from the 2.3 Quad....

What do you all think?

I havent gotten a new graphics card yet but plan to most likely get a 9800 GTX one.

Vista Ultimate

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

I believe that while FSX does use multiple processor cores, it doesn't use them terribly efficiently. You will probably see better performance out of a dual core cpu with a high clock speed than a lower speed quad core... though obviously a high speed quad core is the best case!

Unless your graphics card is pretty out of date, your CPU is probably what is limiting you. If you play other games then by all means go for better GFX, but if FSX is your primary game then I'd recommend putting the money into your processor and ram.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Traches wrote:

...while FSX does use multiple processor cores, it doesn't use them terribly efficiently. You will probably see better performance out of a dual core cpu with a high clock speed than a lower speed quad core...

Well advised, this is precisely what I've been reading in articles from various sources for many moons now. I have a Core2 Quad - Q6600 @ 2.40GHz yet I have to beseech the gods just to be able to load FSX Evil or Very Mad
I've got two 8800 GTs in SLI config and 4 Gigs of RAM... the CPU is definitely the bottleneck.

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Well advised, this is precisely what I've been reading in articles from various sources for many moons now. I have a Core2 Quad - Q6600 @ 2.40GHz yet I have to beseech the gods just to be able to load FSX
I've got two 8800 GTs in SLI config and 4 Gigs of RAM... the CPU is definitely the bottleneck.

Wow.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

I am satisfied with my FSX deluxe running on this computer.

FSX Sp2 & Ultimate terrain-X USA on winXp Sp3
intel E8400 3ghz processor (core 2 duo)
intel G31 I/O chipset
2gb corsair 800mhz ram
nvida 8800gtx 768mb

I get my upgrade parts from Mwave and have noticed that the E and Q series processors are being superceded by the i7 processors. I'd recommend any upgrade be to one of those. Course that means a new motherboard too 😕 .

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...