New CPU

Smailey112 Guest

Earlier this , I just got a 8800 GTS and 3 gb of RAM.

But my computer is still not handling FSX to great in all areas of the world. My current CPU is AMD Athlon X2 3800+.

But it does not do very well. In 3D Mark 06, I get like 0 to 1 fps with my CPU.

I am thinking of doing something about this.

I am looking at the Intel Core 2 Quad.
But my question is, is a quad CPU smart to buy? It got like 2.4 ghz. But still, 4 cores cant be bad.

So what do you think, Duo, or Quad?

Thanks for positive reply s. Smailey 😀

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Doesn't matter......both Dual or Quad CPUs are going to give you better performance out the box. But to be straight, I'd say go get the Intel Quad Core processor, although I am a AMD fanboy. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Buy the best you can afford. I like to buy one step down.
I bought the Core2Duo 6700 not the 6800 because of the huge difference in price and the small difference in "power".
With 3 gigs and a good card the machine will last for a few years.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

In order to upgrade your CPU, you will probably have to get a new motherboard(mobo) also, you definitely will if you change from AMD to Intel. Make sure the the RAM you just bought is compatible with the new mobo or you'll end up buying all new RAM. Also ensure that the new board has the correct connection for your new video card(PCI express).

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

I would reccomend either 2gigs or 4gigs, and shy away from the 3gigs that you have. Reason being is that this forces the memory controller into single channel instead of dual channel. This really can effect Performance. Depdending on how much video memory you will have on your new video card, it may not all show up in the OS anyways...

Im using Vista Home Premium and have 4gigs of DDR-800mhz, yet it only shows 3.5gigs in my performance specs. This is because Vista only reccognizes 4gigs of TOTAL memory, including all those on stand alone devices. So after you add together the sound card, video card, etc.... it will take whatever is left from the 4 gigs... in my case, 3.5gigs.

Its odd, but trust me...keep it in dual channel.

Smailey112 Guest

I would reccomend either 2gigs or 4gigs, and shy away from the 3gigs that you have. Reason being is that this forces the memory controller into single channel instead of dual channel. This really can effect Performance. Depdending on how much video memory you will have on your new video card, it may not all show up in the OS anyways...

Im using Vista Home Premium and have 4gigs of DDR-800mhz, yet it only shows 3.5gigs in my performance specs. This is because Vista only reccognizes 4gigs of TOTAL memory, including all those on stand alone devices. So after you add together the sound card, video card, etc.... it will take whatever is left from the 4 gigs... in my case, 3.5gigs.

Its odd, but trust me...keep it in dual channel.

Thanks man, I did not know that. So you think I will be able to see better performance by removing 1 gb of my RAM??

Your idea sounded pretty good you know. It all makes sence.

Smailey 😀

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Let me ask you this. Does your mobo have 4 memory slots or 3? If you only have 3, then you are only a single channel board and you can leave it in... if you have 4 slots, take out one and see what happens. Make sure that the 2 stick left in are in the same color. You want them to be in different group of slots. Do some surfing, play some games, etc, and see if you notice any difference. What you will probably notice is that the computer seems no slower, but is running 1 gig less.

Strange, but true. I personally do not know why MS left Vista at only 4gigs when many mobos now support 8gigs. I also hear that MS will be coming out with a new OS in 2009. So who knows what is going to happen now.

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

Smailey112 wrote:

But it does not do very well. In 3D Mark 06, I get like 0 to 1 fps with my CPU.

Well I can tell you this for nothing. I ran 3DMark06 when I had an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 and I got 2FPS. I think 3DMark has some sort of bug at the CPU tests so ignore that.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...