Bird strikes

Pro Member Trainee
Wil (BadCarma) Trainee

WASHINGTON -- The Federal Aviation Administration doesn't want travelers to know how often commercial planes are damaged by hitting birds.

Bird Strikes Info

The agency said that information is better kept secret, because otherwise some airlines and airports would stop reporting the incidents.

The agency's formal secrecy proposal came just after FAA officials had said they were going to release the huge database to The Associated Press in response to a Freedom of Information Act request.

The AP requested the information after bird strikes were blamed for taking out both engines on the US Airways jet that ditched in the Hudson River in January.

A former chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board called the secrecy move "a step backward." James Hall said "public awareness is an essential part of any strong safety program."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

Ya know, normally I am all for freedom of information. However in this case, I can't see what possible advantage could come from giving bird strike information to the general public... Most bird strikes don't lead to catastrophic or dangerous situations anyway.

The fact still stands that the airlines are by far the safest way to travel.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Traches wrote:

...but only because air travellers aren't affected by drive-by shootings

Pro Member First Officer
Westernstyle First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

Traches wrote:

...but only because air travellers aren't affected by drive-by shootings

ROFL

Pro Member Trainee
Wil (BadCarma) Trainee

But the public does have a right to know.. Say Seattle has a high bird strike record I might go to portland instead.. If something happens and they keep that information it could result lawsuits..

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

BadCarma wrote:

Say Seattle has a high bird strike record I might go to portland instead..

Pfft, stupid choice 🙄

Pro Member Trainee
Wil (BadCarma) Trainee

lol.. I know, I been at both.. I was just sayin

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...