Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

What in the world are cowl flaps?!

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Best explanation I've ever seen. Bow Down
Everything should have a page like this, life would be so nice!

http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/Cowl%20Flaps%20&%20Engine%20C.html

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Thanks! I understand it now

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Cowl flaps are basically control valves or doors that regulate how much air flows through the engine compartment for cooling purposes. Proper air flow around the engine is crucial to engine life. Too much air flow especially at altitude and cruise power can be damaging because there can be too much of a temperature gradient across the cylinders and heads, this is called shock cooling and can literally crack the engine block and cylinders not unlike pouring cold water on a hot glass. The cowl flaps are used to prevent that by limiting the flow of cold air over the engine.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

This is how me and cowl flaps work!
Take off - open
Cruise - 1/2
Descent - Closed
Final approach - open in preperation for Go Around.
This makes things simple!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...