FSX randomly closes on me during play

Pro Member Trainee
Brett (Brettxw) Trainee

I have recently upgraded my PC from a Dual Core 1.8 to a Dual Core 2.7 and radeon XFX 5750 1gig DDR3 memory video card and DX11 installed. First I had my resolution at like 1980x whatever the number is and that froze the computer. So I figured that was to high of a resolution. I then lowered it down to about 1440x and was able to play but randomly FSX will just close. No warning, just disappear. This can't be a CPU issue (over heating) because that would cause the PC to turn off. So I am narrowing it down to the video card. All my visual settings are on high or ultra high which I am sure is one of the causes. The other problem I may think it is, is DX11. I've heard DX11 causes problems with FSX and I should downgrade back to DX10..Possibly the issue?

On a side note. I f'n love FSX and with the x52 saitek controls, Oh man, its awesome! I was able to use satellite views and fly around my house! So sick!

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Hongming Zheng (jianqing) First Officer

WOW 😳 that is a BIG problem, but I don't understand all your computer stuff 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes it can be overheating caused by dust in the fans the video cards fan and the CPU.
I would open the case and clean it out.

The only other thing I can think of is that you increased everything but the power supply.
If you are pushing It with all the new items that suck it dry, it freezes or crashes the Sim.

What is the wattage.

Try using this.

http://www.vbutils.com/power.asp

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Brett (Brettxw) Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

Yes it can be overheating caused by dust in the fans the video cards fan and the CPU.
I would open the case and clean it out.

The only other thing I can think of is that you increased everything but the power supply.
If you are pushing It with all the new items that suck it dry, it freezes or crashes the Sim.

What is the wattage.

Try using this.

http://www.vbutils.com/power.asp

Radar

I did clean it out when I added these upgrades. I also changed the PSU from a 300 to a 500watt.

I'm looking at this "everest" application I installed to watch the temp of the CPU while I play, it also states that I am using DX9 but if I use the "dxdiag" command it states my version is 11. Hm.

Looking inside the PC, I think the video card is def overheating. I just touched it, and its relatively warm. Hm. I think I'll stick a table fan pointing into the case haha.

Pro Member Trainee
Brett (Brettxw) Trainee

Video card temp is 52C. Seems slightly high.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The case is designed to run cool closed, when you leave it open you defeat the purpose of the engineering design.

That power supply doesn't seem to be enough, a extra fan on the back of the machine (blowing out) should help with the cooling.

Did that link say a 500w was enough for all you want to handle.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Brett (Brettxw) Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

The case is designed to run cool closed, when you leave it open you defeat the purpose of the engineering design.

That power supply doesn't seem to be enough, a extra fan on the back of the machine (blowing out) should help with the cooling.

Did that link say a 500w was enough for all you want to handle.

Radar

Crap, I did not even see that link. I am going to it right now.

Well, I put a dual fan (window) next to the PC and turned it on low and I have been playing FS for about 1.5 hours now with no problem. Graphics all on high and ultra high! Going to install some new air crafts. Some how I am really getting good with the helicopters.

Pro Member Trainee
Brett (Brettxw) Trainee

Wow. I need higher then a 596 power supply. Time to upgrade that to an 800 now.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Get a major brand p/s.

See if this link helps.

http://www.flightsimulationforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1145

MS made chopper flying easier in FSX than FS9, now even I can fly them. 😂

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Brett (Brettxw) Trainee

haha. I need a lot of practice with ILS stuff. I would like to complete a full flight plan and have yet to ever do so. Do you have any tutorials you would recommend to watch to learn?

I'm about to install a bunch of new air crafts, this is addicting.

Also, is there a place to request a custom color scheme for planes? I would be willing to pay for this service if there is anyone who can?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Learn how to fly choppers here.

http://www.hovercontrol.com/

We have a repaint forum, place your request there.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Brett (Brettxw) Trainee

Could you link me to that section please. I can't find.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Brettxw wrote:

Could you link me to that section please. I can't find.

Here it is, don't worry that it's 2004.

Specify FSX in your request.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/22/repainting/

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...