King Air 350 airbrake?

Guest Ed Guest

Hey all,

I often fly the FS09 default Beechcraft King Air 350, and I have always wondered about one thing-- where is the airbrake located on the plane?

I know how to activate it-- hit the / key, and the plane slows down. But if I am out in the spot plane view when I hit the / key, I don't see anything move. The plane slows down, but I don't see an airbrake being activated. On other planes, say the Lear, you hit the / key and you see the little flaps on top of the wings come up. Where is it on the King Air?

I know that not all planes have them-- I'm currently doing a long tour in the Cessna C208 Amphibian, and it doesn't have one. Does a real-life King Air actually have an airbrake?

Thanks,

Ed

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi,
Yes, I think the King Air does have spoilers in real life. I believe they are located on the top of the wing in the centre. They are quite small, but you can see them on spot view from behind, I'll check in a minute 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hi again,
Ok sorry, I was talking about another aircraft Embarassed . I'm not sure where the air brakes on the King Air are, maybe it doesn't have any in the sim or in real life, I couldn't find them anywhere.

Guest Ed Guest

Well, thanks for looking. I just spent some time on the Raytheon/Beechcraft web site, looking for information about the King Air-- unfortunately, with all the information and specifications, they don't seem to say whether or not it has air brakes. They don't actually say it has wings, either-- I guess that's implied. 😂

There are a lot of great photos and stuff there-- there is a whole section about the 40th birthday of the King Air (it first flew in 1964) and stories by pilots. According to one former drug smuggler, the King Air will fly well even with bullet holes in the fuselage and the top of the tail clipped off by flying UNDER power lines. . . 😳

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

I would be interested in an answer for this....I do not think it has them fitted but would like to know!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hi,
I flew the King Air and am quite sure it doesn't have air brakes, whilst flying I pressed / and nothing seemed to happen, the speed did not drop and the pitch did not alter at all, and as they are not visible at all on the aircraft, it probably means they do not exist. I'm guessing they do not exist in the real world if they don't on the sim, unless they forgot to add the speed brakes Surprised

Guest Ed Guest

Hmm, this is weird-- I just took it out for a test flight (in FS09, of course) and mine definitely HAS air brakes. I took off out of Bremerton, achieved straight and level flight at 5000', and was cruising along for several minutes at a nice stable 200 knots-- hit the " / " and airspeed dropped to below 160. Hit it again and the speed came back up.

Just one of life's little mysteries, I guess. 😕

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

The airbrakes work on my sims King Air, I don't think the real ones have them though. All they would have to do to slow down is flatten the pitch on the props. They can make effective speed brakes.

Guest Ed Guest

leadfoot wrote:

The airbrakes work on my sims King Air, I don't think the real ones have them though. All they would have to do to slow down is flatten the pitch on the props. They can make effective speed brakes.

Yeah, I've done that a few times by accident-- very effective. 😳

Ed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...