Automated weather observations

Pro Member Trainee
rainbow_flyer Trainee

Can anyone tell me why the automated weather observation starts mid flight (green bar across top of screen and voiced weather report) and more importantly how to switch it off. It is really annoying as it stops you being able to use atc so eventually your flight plan is cancelled as you are unable to respond to instructions. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Have not had this problem myself are you sure you pres the right key when told to tune to approach etc?

asdgasf Guest

Make sure you tune back to the tower, approach, etc.

Guest Ed Guest

Yes, it sounds like your radio is tuned to an ATIS station in the vicinity and your settings are configured to display text of radio communications (sorry, I can't remember the correct term, but that's what it does).

So hit the " ` " key and tune to some other ATC source, like nearest control or approach. Or just open the radio stack and change the frequency for COM 1 and COM 2. And change your settings to turn off that scrolling display.

Ed

Pro Member Trainee
rainbow_flyer Trainee

Thanks for your help, I will try this next time it happens. It doesn't happen often but does start with no input from me. Will post a reply again if it works. Thanks again.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there,

It seems like the previous response has pointed you in the right direction. The issue you're facing stems from your radio being tuned into an Automated Terminal Information Service (ATIS) station. ATIS provides continuous weather and airport information to pilots, and in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, this information is displayed as a green bar across the top of the screen and voiced weather reports.

To resolve this issue, you can follow these steps:

Change radio frequencies: Press the "`" (grave accent) key to cycle through available ATC sources like nearest control or approach. Alternatively, you can open the radio stack and manually change the frequencies for both COM 1 and COM 2.

Disable the text display: To turn off the scrolling text display, you can navigate to the settings menu. Here's how:

1. Select Options.
  2. Choose the Display tab.
  3. Under General, uncheck the box next to Display Text.

By following these steps, you should no longer receive automated weather observations mid-flight, allowing you to fully engage with ATC and maintain your flight plan without interruptions.

Wishing you smooth skies and a Merry Christmas! If you need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Pro Member Trainee
Darren Elliott (darrenvox) Trainee

nice hope that helps

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...