i think these planes are underpowered

crosscheck9 Guest

Hi,
I have been downloading a few airbuses lately, but they all seem REALLY underpowered. I just got an a321 and it was set at 31,000lbs of thrust, but i adjusted that to 40,000. At intial climb, I set the IAS to 260 KTS, but at 20,000ft, it started to lose IAS fairly quickly. I adjusted the VSR to 1200 fpm, but it didn't change its condition. This seems very unlikely, considering it had so much thrust. Can anyone suggest something useful for me to change. BTW, the A321 is supposed to cruise at .78 mach at 35,000ft. Thanks and Happy Holidays

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Get your hands on A320 professional by Just Flight if you want an accurately modeled plane. No problems with the settings! Just do not stall as it goes into Alpha-floor and you can't recover.....not good!

crosscheck9 Guest

i think what your talking about is the update for the a320. You have to purchase the original, if I am correct. Please tell me if I am correct in my assumptions

crosscheck9 wrote:

Hi,
I have been downloading a few airbuses lately, but they all seem REALLY underpowered. I just got an a321 and it was set at 31,000lbs of thrust, but i adjusted that to 40,000. At intial climb, I set the IAS to 260 KTS, but at 20,000ft, it started to lose IAS fairly quickly. I adjusted the VSR to 1200 fpm, but it didn't change its condition. This seems very unlikely, considering it had so much thrust. Can anyone suggest something useful for me to change. BTW, the A321 is supposed to cruise at .78 mach at 35,000ft. Thanks and Happy Holidays

yust in las put a higher speed dumb Umm...

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Hey guest hav u beeen dinking d wine?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

yust in las put a higher speed dumb

First, Don't insult crosscheck9, he's a awesome member of this site, and has supplied much information and knowlege.

Secondly, seeing is how you know so much, enough to call him a dumb ass, (yes, thats what you're thinking, im not stupid) you would know that putting in a higher speed would do no good. God, i thought you KNEW this because you're so smart. I'm SURE you don't need to hear this, but seeing is how you want to insult a good friend of this site, you SHOULD know this...putting in a higher speed does no good, because obviously the engine can't put out enough power to push the aircraft at 260 kias, what makes you think that you'll be able to make it fly faster? God you're dumb. Come ON, you KNOW THIS!!! You HAVE TO, because you WOULDNT insult someone if you DID, would you?!

Why don't you come back to this site when you've adjusted your atitude, we don't need your bullshit here.

Crosscheck9, sorry you had to take that from whoever that guest was, maybe this info will help you.

This is a selection of the BOEING 737-400 AIRCRAFT.CFG file

you open it with notepad.

Find the part i put in BOLD

[General]
atc_type=BOEING
atc_model=B734
editable=0
performance="Cruise Speed \n477 kts 550 mph 885 km\/h\n\nEngines \nCFM56-3C1\n\nMaximum Range \n2,059 nm 2,370 mi 3,810 km\n\nService Ceiling \n36, 089 ft 11,000 m\n\nFuel Capacity \n5,311 U.S. gal 20,104 L\n\nEmpty Weight-Standard \n76,180 lb 34,550 kg\n\nMaximum Gross Weight\n150,000 lb 68,039 kg\n\nLength \n120 ft 36.45 m\n\nWingspan \n94 ft, 9 in 25.9 m\n\nHeight \n36.5 ft 11.13 m\n\nSeating \nSeats 147 to 168\n\nCargo Capacity \n1,373 ft3 38.93 m3\n\n"

[pitot_static]
vertical_speed_time_constant = 1 //Increasing this value will cause a more instantaneous reaction in the VSI

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
max_gross_weight = 150000 // (pounds)
empty_weight = 74170 // (pounds)

reference_datum_position = 0, 0, 0 // (feet) distance from FlightSim Reference position: (1/4 chord, centerline, waterline)
empty_weight_CG_position = -5, 0, 0 // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from specified datum

max_number_of_stations = 50

station_load.0 = "170.0, 41.0, -1.5, 0.0, Pilot" //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.1 = "170.0, 41.0, 1.5, 0.0, Co-Pilot" //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.2 = "510.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, Crew" //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.3 = "1360.0, 25.5, 0.0, 0.0, First Class" //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.4 = "8160.0, 11.0, 0.0, 0.0, Coach 3-10" //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.5 = "8160.0, -10.0, 0.0, 0.0, Coach 11-18" //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.6 = "7140.0, -30.5, 0.0, 0.0, Coach 19-25" //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.7 = "10000.0, 20.5, 0.0, 0.0, Forward Baggage" //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.8 = "4000.0, -27.5, 0.0, 0.0, Aft Baggage" //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)

;Moments of Inertia
empty_weight_pitch_MOI = 3172439
empty_weight_roll_MOI = 2262183
empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 3337024
empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 0

[flight_tuning]
cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0
parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0
induced_drag_scalar = 1.0
elevator_effectiveness = 1.0
aileron_effectiveness = 1.0
rudder_effectiveness = 1.0
pitch_stability = 1.0
roll_stability = 1.0
yaw_stability = 1.0
elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0
aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0
rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

[GeneralEngineData]
engine_type = 1 //0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=None, 3=Helo-Turbine, 4=Rocket, 5=Turboprop
Engine.0 = 4.75, -16.1, -4.5 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
Engine.1 = 4.75, 16.1, -4.5 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
fuel_flow_scalar = 1 //Scalar for fuel flow efficiency
min_throttle_limit = -0.25 //Minimum percent throttle. Generally negative for turbine reverser
max_contrail_temperature = -30 //Temperature (deg C) below which contrails may appear

[TurbineEngineData]
fuel_flow_gain = 0.002 //Gain on fuel flow
inlet_area = 19.6 //Square Feet, engine nacelle inlet area
rated_N2_rpm = 29920 //RPM, second stage compressor rated value
static_thrust = 23500 //Lbs, max rated static thrust at Sea Level
afterburner_available = 0 //Afterburner available?
reverser_available = 1 //Thrust reverser available?

[jet_engine]
thrust_scalar = 1.0
CROSSCHECK9, IN THE AIRBUS FILE, IF THIS IS LOWER THAN 1.0 INCREASE IT TO 1.0 IF IT IS AT 1.0, BRING IT TO 1.1, IF THAT DONT HELP, THEN GO 1.2, AND KEEP GOING UNTILL YOU GET THE PERFORMANCE YOU WANT.

NOTE, TO FIND THE ACTUAL THRUST OUTPUT WHEN MODIFYING THE THRUST SCALAR IS SIMPLE, MULTIPLY THE MAX THRUST NUMBER, IN YOUR CASE, 40,000LB, BY THE THRUST SCALAR.

EX. 40,000 X 1.2 GIVES 48,000LB THRUST.
THIS IS USED INSTEAD OF THE ACTUAL THRUST RATING, SO THE FUEL BURN IS NOT AFFECTED. IF YOU MODIFY THE THRUST RATING, LIKE YOU DID, TO 40,000LB, IT BURNS MORE FUEL. I DONT KNOW THE FORMULA FOR IT.

Sorry for "Shouting" but it's easier for you to find it that way.

THE FORMULA FOR THIS IS SIMPLE, 1.0 GIVES 100% OF THE MAXIMUM THRUST. 1.1 GIVES 110%

2.0 GIVES 200%.

crosscheck9 Guest

hey....thanks alot FEM, your right, i dont need to take that kind of insult from some1 i know nothing about. Thanks for the information too, Happy holidays and once again, thanks alot FEM

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I do what i can, let me know if it fixes your problem, or if you need more help

the flyer Guest

Embarassed Guys when I read how you hammer, I think you miss the meaning off live. Be patient and run for some fun. Boys (and you are boys with this temper) you are rude....

Uli Kawuli

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Could'nt have put it better myself F_E_M, nicely done!

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Welshflyer wrote:

Could'nt have put it better myself F_E_M, nicely done!

a bit late, just over two years, but I am sure he'd thank you for the compliment all the same :p

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Sorry ARD_DC Embarassed just commented after last post ,should have checked the dates!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...