Alphasim B58 ILS landing

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

I am having a tough time landing the Alphasim B58 aircraft when it comes to an ILS landing. It seems the aircraft wonders from side to side when locked to the ILS and trying to line up on the runway. I have locked to the ILS at a distance of 20 miles and still having a problem of getting lined up exactly with the ILS glideslope for a center line runway landing. All of my other aircraft slew from side to side for a short period of time but all line up withing a few miles of the ILS glideslope for a centerline landing. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi RadarMan... I read the link you sent very carefully and came up with the solution to the problem. The B58 Hustler has a very high landing speed which I am aware of but I learned that in order to make an ILS landing with this aircraft you have to go out about 20 miles and then try and line up the aircraft with the runway using the ILS indicator with the APPR off. You have to approach the runway almost dead on with the APPR off and manual positioning of the aircraft as close as you can using the GPS feather. Once you have it pretty well lined up, then engage the APPR button for absolute alignment using the vertical bar on the ILS indicator as a localizer. By the time the ILS indicator bars are a perfect crosshair, the aircraft should be lined up and starting down the glideslope. You have to keep the speed around 180 MPH in order to prevent the aircraft from sinking too fast. Thanks again for your help and the link which helped solve the problem. The only problem you will definitely have with this aircraft is when you are flying under ATC as they usually bring you in about 30 degrees off the runway feather on the GPS and you will not have time for the aircraft to lock properly to the glideslope.

Very best regards

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm glad it helped and you were able to figure out the fine parts of landing that beast.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi... After having this yawing problem with the B-58, the problem is in the autopilot in the aircraft.cfg file. I am enclosing the autopilot section in the aircraft.cfg that I am currently using with great success. Since the B-58 has a landing speed of 180 mph, you have to start to intercept the ILS beacon at a distance between 15 and 20 miles to have ample time to lock. Replace the autopilot section with the one below and your problems should be over. Set your speed to 180 as soon as the aircraft starts to descend when on approach and locked to the glideslope. Try to intercept the glideslope from the airport at about 30 degrees to the runway.

[autopilot]
autopilot_available=1
flight_director_available=1
default_vertical_speed=1500
autothrottle_available=1
autothrottle_arming_required=1
autothrottle_max_rpm = 90
autothrottle_takeoff_ga=1
pitch_takeoff_ga = 8;
max_pitch=10.0
max_pitch_acceleration=1.0
max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt=2.0
max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt=1.5
max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt_breakpoint=20000.0
max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt_breakpoint=28000.0
max_bank=25.0
max_bank_acceleration=1.8
max_bank_velocity=3.00
max_throttle_rate=0.10
nav_proportional_control=12.00
nav_integrator_control=0.25
nav_derivative_control=0.00
nav_integrator_boundary=2.50
nav_derivative_boundary=0.00
gs_proportional_control=25.0
gs_integrator_control=0.53
gs_derivative_control=0.00
gs_integrator_boundary=0.70
gs_derivative_boundary=0.00
yaw_damper_gain = 1.0

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Thanks for posting that, it'll help other members.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...