Air Transat flight 236

crosscheck9 Guest

Does anyone know where I can find some detailed information about the fuel leak of Air Transat Flight 236. Just to let you know what happened on the flight........

Air Transat 236 was scheduled to go from Toronto to Lisbon (A330)

Over the atlantic, they found a fuel leak, which ultimately, led the pilots into an 18 minute glide. (I have no idea how!!!)

I just wanted to see if I could find good info on it.

PS: if you can find info about Swissair Flight 111, that would be great too.

THANKS!!!

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Air Transat Flight 236

Swissair Flight 111

You want something fantastic, read this one! 😳

http://www.wadenelson.com/gimli.html

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mako (makonnenl) First Officer

I have watched both of them on the National Geographic "minute from disaster" documentary film.
That is so 😞 😞 😞

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

I watched a program about Transat 236 and I think the thing that saved evryone on board was the fact that they flight was rerouted a couple hundred miles South of thier flight planned route. Had this not happened they would have had to ditch. Good job by the crew in landing the hevy "glider" on the other hand should they have noticed the fuel problem?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi,
The last of RadarMan's links was also a film, in which the 767 made an emergency landing at Gimli. A very interesting film, highly recommended. Just one question though to anyone that has seen the film or read the link above, what does it mean when it says he "did what you would do in a sail plane and cross the controls". What does this mean? I remember watching it in the film, something about ailerons i think 😕 Thanks a lot

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

I watched the documentary on Discovery about the Air Transat flight, it landed in the Azores - very lucky flight.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Flying "crossed controls" in my experience is similar to "side-slipping" where one would use right aileron and left rudder. This allows you to fly crabbed so that you can descend faster but because you are putting the side of the ac (flying unbalanced) into the airflow you create more drag and therefore do not increase your speed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Thats clever 😀 . Thanks

crosscheck9 Guest

i just watched an episode on seconds from diasaster of BA Flight 111. The windshield of the cockpit was ripped off, but they managed to land (amazingly). I'm not gonna go into details, but if you notice, their flight was the same number as that of the tragedy of swissair. It must be like that consipiracy of the word Titan for the name of a ship. (Titanic, + Titan oil rig)

Jararachani Guest

The complete investigation of the "causes" and final assessment of the near disaster are online (i.e the Portuguese Air Investigation).

Pro Member Trainee
FHeselton Trainee

Actually the British Airways flight that lost the windscreen was BA5390 from Birmingham to Malaga, Spain. The aircraft was a BAC-111. For more information on the flight try the following:

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

PH wrote:

Good job by the crew in landing the hevy "glider" on the other hand should they have noticed the fuel problem?

They did notice and monitor the fuel problem but it appeared to be a computer malfunction at first, and they couldn't do a visual confirmation because it was too dark outside to see the stream of fuel trailing from the engine.

The fault was traced back to maintenance as a bracket had been substituted because the supervisor was under pressure to get the bird flying. Anyway, the substitute bracket, though just a fraction of an inch smaller than the original, allowed hydrolic lines to rub against the fuel line until it leak and then ruptured.

The flight crew did an astonishing job. If they would have had to put it down in the water the majority on board would have perished.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

I asked the wrong question........they noticed it but did not thoroughly monitor it. What should happen if you believe there is a malfunction is you monitor the situation not guess because it is out of the ordinary that it is a malfunction. Had they done regular checks of the total fuel on board/burn they could have established the starboard engine was "burning" much more than the port and looked at crossfeeding. End of the day they did a good job landing and no lives lost but it could have been avoided.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...