FS2004 Latitude/Longditude is miles out

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Check out how inaccurate FS2004 is with lat/long co-ordinates. Go to an airport and look at the Map noting the co-ords. Launch something like Autoroute and type in the numbers - with me it's MILES out.

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I didn't know it could be out, I thought they were fixed so as long as everything was the same scale, then it can't be wrong. Thats what I thought though I am more than likely wrong!

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

99jolegg....second time I agree with you today! I (very sad) checked Lat and Long at 4 UK airports using real world approach plates. Using the threshold coordinates I put the figures into flight sim Map facility and the coordinates put me on the threshold! I reckon autoroute may be wrong! Where are you horrgakx? I could try looking at some plates from your area if I have any.

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

In north west England - Carlisle would be a good airport.

I sat on the airport at N54.5602 W2.4925 (according to FS2004) and I put these into Autoroute. It ended up showing 28 miles to the south east.

Autoroute is accurate, I've used it in conjunction with a GPS receiver to navigate on the roads.

Dave

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

May be possible!?

I just fired up FS9 and checking the coordinates of my local airport, Logan Airport in Boston, Massachusetts against the coordinates of Logan from an "official airport diagram from the FAA". The coordinates are the same. I did this using land points at Logan.

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Here is (land point) coordinates of Logan from FS9:

Lat = N42* 22.01'
Lon = W71* 1.12'

The same land point coordinates from MS Street & Trips 2003

Lat = 42.36484N
Lon = 71.01706W

How does one read the Lat/Long from MS Street & Trips 2003? Is Autoroute use the same format as Street & Trips 2003?

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

You are not too far from me then horgakx....used to fly into Carlisle from Teesside to get my Cessna "MOT'd"! I tried Blackpool and it was spot on, Pooleys guide gives EGNC (Carlisle) as N54 56.25 W002 48.55 this puts me near Hold "E" West of the disused......me thinks Autoroute is wrong, please correct me if I am wrong but I have a good feeling about FS being right if the world is round!

RanzITman Guest

I recently created a flight plan from Bountiful,UT to Custer Field,SD. I then took a heading that should have brought me right to Mt Rushmore.

"Should have" is the operative term. I searched for an hour for that darned rock and came up empty. In desparation I selected the Mt Rushmore flyby in the packaged flights and compared it against where I thought it should be. What I found is that in FS9 Mt Rushmore is almost 5 miles Southwest of its true GPS coordinates. Umm...

I checked some known landmarks in my area and they are all well within range of real world coordinates. I called Microsoft and asked if it was intentional but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

Does anyone have more information about this? Are there any other areas that don't reflect real world coordinates?

I guess what I'm asking is if I am going to be lost more times than not if I plan flights with real world coords.

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

RanzITman wrote:

I called Microsoft and asked if it was intentional but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

😳

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...