Will FS2004 Work With Windows 10?

albark Guest

will fs 2004 work on windows 10, and if not is there a method to get it to work in this version of windows

Answers 29 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It should, I can't see why not.
I'm running FSX on W10.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
ColinBeckman Trainee

I just upgraded to win10 and wish I hadn't
The program is hiding behind a black screen.
If I press control alt and delete to get up the task manager and then come of task manager FS9 reapears.
Alt and Tab seem to do the same thing.
You cannot see the selected aircraft.
Does any know how to correct this.
I have just downloaded loads of new aircraft and scenery and am now sick that I jumped into downloading microsofts free offer of an upgrade

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Microsoft installed a video card drivers of it's own choice along with the W10 download.
Uninstall it and download the latest (for your card) for W10 and see if that helps.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
ColinBeckman Trainee

I checked on the acer website today. my laptop is 4 years old and the downloads for the model only go up to win 7 which came on my laptop.

Someone posted this on another website but I cannot find what they have posted. i could not see the preview as it says.
See below:

Try this it worked for me in Windows 10 Pro, go to your settings, then display, find in the display Preview DirectX 10, Enable it, i looked in previous games and found that windows 10 disables it for some reason, re-enabling it again fixed my issue in FSX, should help in FS2004, i used to get the Black screen and Blank Aircraft preview and the above fix fixed it for me, but the only way you can get ingame is to alt-Tab out and tab back in.

Pro Member Trainee
ColinBeckman Trainee

Just downloaded the no cd application from your website and it worked.
This was from advice on the microsoft community.
The main menu is intact and chosen aircraft is visible.
Only problems are when exiting a flight the screen goes black and I have to hit (alt) and (enter) to go back to main menu.
The flight window has the menu bar at the top which has to be changed in the view tab to full screen.
I have not checked all aircraft but did have an error with sound files on the harrier II plus. Can't get rid of menu bar with this aircraft also.
Others seem OK for now

Will let you know if I find any more niggles

My beloved FS2004 has run perfectly, even with a Shackleton and WW2 fighter add-ons,for years. Now that I have "upgraded" by purchasing Windows 10, it does not work. My very old Combat Flight Simulator WW2, my Combat Flight Simulator 3 and my FSX with five WW2 add-ons still work perfectly. All I get when trying to run the FS2004 program is "Please login with administrator privileges and try again". I have tried all the compatibility possibilities with no success. Please help! I am certain that I am not alone in this situation.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

My beloved FS2004 has run perfectly, even with a Shackleton and WW2 fighter add-ons,for years. Now that I have "upgraded" by purchasing Windows 10, it does not work. My very old Combat Flight Simulator WW2, my Combat Flight Simulator 3 and my FSX with five WW2 add-ons still work perfectly. All I get when trying to run the FS2004 program is "Please login with administrator privileges and try again". I have tried all the compatibility possibilities with no success. Please help! I am certain that I am not alone in this situation.

Try right clicking on the flight icon and choose run as administrator.

Radar

Mr Guest,

If you are trying to run with disc 4, you need to run with the nocd patch and it should work fine.

Hi Radarman!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Mr Guest,

If you are trying to run with disc 4, you need to run with the nocd patch and it should work fine.

Hi Radarman!

😀 Hi, good to see you.

Radar

Thanks, but "run with administrator" does not work.

John Beck Guest

Thanks, but how do I get the nocd patch?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
John Beck Guest

Dear friend "out there", your advice was spot-on. I patched "nodisk" and my FS2004 is working! I thank you sincerely from beautiful Cape Town, South Africa. Kind regards. John Beck.

Great to hear John! Very pleased to hear you are up and running. Long live FS2004!

Hi there, Radarman and all the others who helped me in the past. I am flying CFS 1 (Europe Series) and CFS 3 on Windows 10 without any problems. I have recently been able to get a copy of CFS 2. It installs fine, but when clicking to play, I get the message: "Please login with administrator privileges and try again." The screen then goes blank. Do you have any suggestions as to what to do to get this baby running? Kind regards from John Beck in beautiful Cape Town, South Africa.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Hi there, Radarman and all the others who helped me in the past. I am flying CFS 1 (Europe Series) and CFS 3 on Windows 10 without any problems. I have recently been able to get a copy of CFS 2. It installs fine, but when clicking to play, I get the message: "Please login with administrator privileges and try again." The screen then goes blank. Do you have any suggestions as to what to do to get this baby running? Kind regards from John Beck in beautiful Cape Town, South Africa.

I know that this is a long thread but see if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-desktop/please-login-with-administrator-privileges-and-try/8d917d95-1271-413e-8bde-871bdaa4d343?auth=1

Check this first.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-do-i-run-an-application-once-with-a-full-administrator-access-token

Radar

John Beck Guest

Thanks Radarman, but these links have not helped. M/Soft seems unable to answer queries directly and precisely. Regards. Cape Town Man.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See how this works.
On the CFS2.exe in your in your main folder or on the desktop,, right click on it, choose Properties then Compatibility, check the box at the bottom beside "Run this program as an administrator", then Apply, then OK.

Radar

John,
Find the CFS2 nocd and apply it. I would say chances are good this will fix it.

I need to register soon! lol

RadarMan, I was going to register but it looks like you need to pay site membership to register just for the forum? Is this correct?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

RadarMan, I was going to register but it looks like you need to pay site membership to register just for the forum? Is this correct?

It's for the forum but most importantly it allows you much faster downloads of our extensive library of aircraft, scenery, utilities etc.

Radar

As many fellow simmers have done, I have updated from Win7 to Win10. Everything worked normally for a while. At a time I started having problems when flying online (I would not see other aircraft). As the re-installation of the Squawkbox did not work, I decided to re-install FS9. And here starts my problem. I have uninstalled FS9 and then proceeded with the installation from the disks. As to apply the NOCD patch we would have first to install the FS9.1 update, I did so. And here comes the problem: the update tells me something as: "It seems that FS9.1 is already installed, so no action is taken". The problem is that, when running FS9, in the About box I still read FS9.0. What should I do? Any suggestions?

Regards,

Domingos

Konstantin Guest

> The problem is that, when running FS9, in the About box I still read FS9.0. What should I do? Any suggestions?
Remove or rename BACKUP folder from your sim folder. Then run again 9.1 update. Now it will get installed

Pro Member First Officer
beroun First Officer

Hi all,
I feared the worst but must say that FS2004 works OK in my new W10 PC. Subject to installing NOCD patch see link below. Also have upgraded to v9.1. As mentioned, alt and enter needs to be pressed to see aircraft preview, but no big deal.
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/317/no-cd-patch-for-flight-simulator-2004/
Regards
Peter

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

beroun wrote:

Hi all,
I feared the worst but must say that FS2004 works OK in my new W10 PC. Subject to installing NOCD patch see link below. Also have upgraded to v9.1. As mentioned, alt and enter needs to be pressed to see aircraft preview, but no big deal.
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/317/no-cd-patch-for-flight-simulator-2004/
Regards
Peter

If you patched to 9.1 you need this patch not the one you chose.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/15244/microsoft-flight-simulator-2004-v91-no-cd-patch/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
beroun First Officer

Absolutely, you are right, there is a different NOCD patch for v9.1. I used the correct one, just inadvertently posted a link to a wrong one.

Pro Member First Officer
beroun First Officer

Some helpful hints I compiled:

To my delight, I got FS 2004 working successfully on my new Windows 10 laptop and would like to help those who are contemplating about going to W 10………. GO FOR IT!

My new HP laptop has good capacities, better than the rigs available 10 years ago, but it is not a powerful horse. It has Windows 10 Home 64 with 16GB DDR4 memory, i7-6500U processor and NVIDIA GeForce 940MX card (2GB DDR3). (Note that I am using FS 2004 for over 10 years and have collected number of add-on airports and sceneries, also many aircraft (both AI and flyable). Many of my airports were modified using ADE and many AI flight plans created using the amazing T-Tools. Therefore, my original 2.69GB plain FS 2004 now has 36GB capacity.
I had this FS running great on Vista Laptop with 2. GB memory, T9400 Intel processor and 512 MG NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT.)
So, having mentioned all this, these are few points relating to the FS 2004 running on W10, also some of my experience leading to the successful install:

Prerequisites:
• First and most important under the assumption that your FS runs OK on your old PC. Copy your ENTIRE FS2004 folder from your old PC onto a separate hard drive! To copy my 36GB takes close to two hours!
• Second have the four original installation CD discs available!
• Finally, have your new W10 PC Note that I have no experience with installing FS2004 on the old rigs upgraded to W10! (Judging from the chat rooms there might be some issues with these)

Step by step procedure to install FS2004 on the new W10 PC:

• Load the four CD discs using either built in or external CD drive (I got a warning message from Microsoft – unknown origin (strange) – so have O.K.d the install. Install it (custom!) to your own folder on C drive, NOT to the Program Files, which I thing is a default. I named my folder FS2004.
• Answer NO at the end of install to run the FS, instead remove No 4 CD.
• Update the FS to v9.1. The update is available for the download in below link. It is an easy install placing the program file to your new FS folder and running it. https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2795/flight-simulator-2004-update-v91/
• Get No CD Patch from below download. Again, an easy install to replace the fs9.exe file by the new downloaded file. https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/15244/microsoft-flight-simulator-2004-v91-no-cd-patch/
• Run FS (no need for the disc 4 installed, you got the patch!) and you find out that there is no aircraft preview in the opening screen just black field. It does not bother me because I can see and select the aircraft I want to fly in the drop-down. But if you want, hit ALT and ENTER and the aircraft picture appears. Test FS for basic functionality, take a quick flight with Cessna or similar.
• This is a good practice! Copy the entire contents of your newly installed FS folder to a back-up hard drive. (You can call it RAW FS9). It should have 2.69GB, so should not take long to copy. It is good to have the original files available!

Now to bring you newly created FS in W10 to the standard of your FS from your former PC. Hook up to your W10 PC your external drive where you backed-up your FS folder. Delete all files from the following folders in your newly installed FS folder in your W10 PC, and copy in the corresponding files from your back-up hard drive into:
1. Addon Scenery folder, if you added or modified the scenery.
2. Aircraft folder, if you added or modified aircraft.
3. Effects folder, if you added or modified effects.
4. Gauges folder, if you added or modified gauges.
5. Modules folder, if you added or modified modules.
6. Scenery sub-folders folders (Afri, Asia, Aust, Eure, Eurw, Namc, Name, Namw, Ocen). This may not be necessary unless you modified some airport files or added flattens in your original FS. If you know where, just replace these files in given folders.
7. Scenery/World/Scenery folder. This is where your traffic files and altitude corrections are.
8. Sound folder, if you modified, added sounds or used Edit Voice pack.
9. Texture folder, if you modified or added textures.
10. Replace Scenery.cfg file in the main FS folder with the original back-up file! (This is important, so that you do not have to activate all your sceneries!) Note that the sceneries listed in this file should match the sceneries in your Addon Scenery folder otherwise you get a message if some sceneries are listed in Scenery.cfg file and are missing in the Addon folder!
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Few advices or enhancing your FS2004, making it more realistic and mainly reduce those enjoying stutters (momentary screen freezes, apparently caused due to the old program running on the new higher capacity PC):
Get FS Environment 9 v1.3 from AVSIM Misc files library:
http://library.avsim.net/index.php
In this document are great enhancements available to make your FS more realistic and mainly! The FS9 Optimization section which changes some numbers in your Roaming FS9.cfg file (Located in your Windows 10 C drive/Users/Your Name/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FS9 folder). This greatly reduced my stutters. (Note that the TextureMaxLoad=10 needs to be added as a separate line! The creators of this great piece of info forgot to mention it,) Also to see your AppData file you need to set your files options to show the Hidden Files and Folders!
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
In general, you do not need to go for high FPS. I run at 25 FPS and the flights are nice and fluid. For info below are the settings I use. These give me great scenery and fluid flying (clearly, you might experiment with those):
Display:
Scenery:
Terrain Mash Complexity 100, Terrain Texture Size High, Terrain Detail Land Only, Water effects Low, Special Effects Detail Medium, Scenery Complexity Very Dense, Add-on Dynamic Scenery Unchecked, Ground Scenery Cast Shadows, Sun Glare and Lens Flare all Unchecked (these do not do too much and save capacity)
Aircraft:
Global Aircraft Quality Low, Virtual Cockpit Gauge Quality High, In the rest only the Landing lights checked, rest unchecked.
Weather:
Sight Distance 70 MI, Cloud Draw Distance 40 MI, 3D Cloud Percentage 50, Detailed Clouds Checked, Cloud Coverage Density High.
Hardware:
Target Frame Rate 25, Render to Texture Checked, Transform and Lightning Checked, Anti-Aliasing Unchecked. MIP Quality 4, Hardware Render Lights 6, Global Max Texture Size High.
Realism and Weather:
Rate at which weather changes over time Medium.

Additional note. Since I fly using the keyboard the F keys on my new laptop are active only when the FN key is pressed. This is enjoying because for example to handle flaps using F keys you need to hold the FN key as well, you can fix this by using the Assignments in Settings to change the Flaps from F keys to a single key on your new PC keyboard. I assigned “D” key to flaps down sequential and “T” key to flaps up sequential.

Good luck and keep them flying!

Flight sim loads get to the getting started window and freeze for few seconds and an error windows pops (Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working)

Pro Member First Officer
beroun First Officer

Sounds like a scenery issue of the default flight. If you can identify it (the scenery) of the default flight, de-activate it. You can deactivate it manually before starting FS by opening the scenery.cfg file (in your main FS folder). Open the file in notepad and you will se the sceneries listed there. Looks something like this:
[Area.053]
Title=Hondumesh
Local=Addon Scenery\Hondumesh
Remote=
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=53
Hypothetically!! if this would be the scenery you need to deactivate. Delete the whole entry in the notepad. BUT then renumber the following sceneries with the follow-up numbers for Area and Layer. So that the numbers run consecutively.
Then try to start FS again. If it was the scenery issue, it should work.
Good luck

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...