Sidewinder Precision Pro incompatibility

Pro Member Trainee
sfetty Trainee

Just tried to install the software that came with my Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro joystick. I get an error message that says the software is not compatible with my Windows XP. What are my options ❓ 😕

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
sfetty Trainee

The Microsoft download section for the SideWinder Pro joystick is for Windows 95 & 98. I have Windows XP. The message I get when I try to install the software for the SideWinder is:

SideWinder game device software 3.x installs drivers that are incompatible with this version of windows.

I bought a Microsoft joystick because I have a Microsoft operating system ( Windows XP ) and thought it would work well together. I e-mailed Microsoft about thew problem, but my grandson will probably figure it out for me before Microsoft gets back to me.

All I am wanting to do is replace my cheap Gravis joystick with a better one. Maybe I should get a different brand. Please help anyone. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Uninstall those Win 98/ME drivers. Most likely they're conflicting with already installed SideWinder Precision Pro drivers which are included in the Windows XP operating system.

Pro Member Trainee
sfetty Trainee

I finally got Windows to recognize the SideWinder joystick. Don't ask me how. The CD that came with the joystick is for Windows 98. That is what it says on the CD. Since I have Windows XP, I don't even need the CD that came with the joystick. Is that correct? Windows XP automatically recognizes the SideWinder Pro joystick.

I said in an earlier post that I had 2 mountains to climb:

Learn how to fly and use FS9
Learn how to use this stupid computer

Thanks for the help michlin and RadarMan 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

sfetty wrote:

... Is that correct? Windows XP automatically recognizes the SideWinder Pro joystick.

I said in an earlier post that I had 2 mountains to climb:

Learn how to fly and use FS9
Learn how to use this stupid computer

Thanks for the help michlin and RadarMan 🙂

That is correct! And good luck on those two mountains. We've all been there before.

Pro Member Trainee
RandyComo Trainee

I am wondering if by chance if you did'nt end up with the older version of the precision pro joystick. I had an older one that worked fine on 98se and me but wouldn't work on XP.. The older version had a wheel that was on a horizontal axis and the newer one is on a vertical axis. I get the same message when I try to use it. The older one also has an additional button which is supposed to enable you to use the buttons for a second function by holding it and this additional button. Just a thought.

RandyComo

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...