getting FS2004

algonz Guest

This is directed primarily at Radarman and Greekman 72, both of which corresponded with me on the fs2002 forum. This is not to restrict anyone else from chiming in. Believe me I'll listen to everyone.

Found a good sale on FS2004 for the 4th of July - also checked Amazon.com and found they have a pretty good price on a CH yoke (with another simulation program included) and also a good price on CH rudders. Any known incompatibility issues with FS2004?

Also, from what I've read about regarding FS2004 interaction is available with control towers. Does this interaction require a headset or mike? If so, what are your recommendations?

Radarman, I gathered from some of your posts at various forums that you use a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 stick. Is this correct? I have located several on ebay, but no software. I'm planning on getting one of these too, for use on another computer with the older FS on it. That computer also has XP pro on it.

Sent in my registration yesterday and paid via PayPal on the Fly Away Simulation web site - got a receipt from PayPal, but no confirmation yet from Fly Away. Soon as I get all confirmed, I'll try to participate more.

I'll stop for now and wait for some replies (also, hopefully get some work done)

Al Gonzales

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That all sounds great, the hardware you bought should work beautifully.
Watch your deleted and junk folder, quite often the conformation goes straight to them.
Welcome aboard and I'm curious as to what you are going to do for a computer that can run it, did you get the Alien.
Just flying alone like you would do most of the time does not need a headset, ATC comes through your speakers and also on screen.

Radar

algonz Guest

Thanks for finding me Radarman.
I'm getting the guy who does all my network maintenance in my company to design me a computer capable of running my vehicular crash simulations for my business and FS. So far we are at a PIV 3.6 mhz with 2 gb ram, dual 250 gb harddrives, dvd r/w, 21 inch LCD monitor with an Nvidia 6800 Ultra video card and we haven't decided on the sound and a few other little items yet. May switch to a 21 inch CRT rather than the LCD. Also looking into the possibility of dual video cards. Reason for going with Nvidia is that my vehicle crash simulator doesn't like ATI products at all for some reason. The techies at Engineering Dynamics (producer of the crash simulators) haven't been able to isolate the exact reason. It just seems to be a fact of life. I am going to check with the techies there again before we finalize the specs and check on the compatibility of the AMD processors. Quite a few of the gaming computers I have checked have AMD processors rather than the pentiums.

I was under the assumption that interactive meant that you could talk back and forth with the towers. Wondered how that would be possible.

Another question, unrelated, What is FS9? I keep seeing references to it in the posts but haven't seen a description yet.

I do tend to get longwinded, but there is so much more that I want to learn.

Al

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

FS9 is FS04, or FS2004. This is the ninth flight sim from microshaft, so we call it FS9

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Are you getting the Nvidia 6800GT 256mb? Great card and yes for the long run your better off with SLI.
Have him install an Antec power supply, no lower than 450w, I would go for the 600w so there aren't any problems down the line.
Fans, let him put a Zalmen copper fan on your CPU, and have at least one fan in the front of the case to draw in cool air, and at least one in the rear to expel hot air.
You can buy cases with that in them. Top of the line http://www.lian-li.com/main.htm .

This happens with ATI or Nvidia, some computers and or software like one and not the other.
I know a few golf game course designers and when they have a beta test different problems arise with each card so in the long run the course comes out able to run on any machine, strange. Same thing with the drivers.

You do,( in a way) talk to ATC but it's with your keyboard.
You do talk with them at a multiflyer site (very popular) called http://vatsim.net/ . You have to download software to talk to them
Here other flyers act as ATC and try to make it as realistic as possible. The headset would come in handy then both for perfect sound and keeping the noise from your computer from bothering others in your home.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...