David C. Copley P-38 VC problem???

Ben Wisdom Guest

Hello Everyone.

I've just downloaded David C. Copley's Excellent P38 Models. After much trial and error I've managed to get most of them (Downloaded and installed everything but the racer model (F, G, H, J, L, M, N, XP38, XP38N).

My main problem is that I can't seem to get the gauges to show up in the VC at all. I see the control stick alright but nothing but empty black boxes where the gauges should be. I started out with the P38J "Cobra In The Clouds" and that works fine. But I'm trying to expand my P38 collection so I don't have to fly the same scheme all the time. not real fond of skulls wearing top-hats 😛.

I've tried every trick I know to get FSX to cooperate. I wonder if the issue is that these birds were made for the FSX steam edition and I'm currently using the store-bought out of the box version.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I really want to fly these birds but I like to see the gauges when I need them.

Thanks all, good day!

PS: I tried to attach an image of my problem in JPEG format but I can't figure out how to do so. Basically picture empty black space where gauges in a P38 cockpit should be 😛

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Here are the 4 steps for installation.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/14327/fsx-lockheed-p-38-lightning-fear-reaper/

Follow them and it should work.
When they say put the gauges in the main gauge folder they want you to put the contents of the folder in, not the folder itself.

Radar

Ben Wisdom Guest

Thanks for the prompt reply RadarMan,

I downloaded and installed the P38 Fear The Reaper and the gauges correctly. Unfortunately, Fear The Reaper P38J doesn't seem to show up in aircraft selection.

Also, I did install the gauges correctly, replacing the existing files and I also checked the gauges folder itself to verify that all the needed files were there.I did find the two files the other update readme told me not to copy to gauges file (R-Start 1 and 2) and removed them. Still, no luck.

Any other suggestions? I really want to fix this and I won't give up until I do. I found another P38 "Sleepy Time Gal" but I bet unless it includes all the files I need it's probably going to suffer the same problem.

Sleepytime just finished downloading. *Keeps fingers crossed*.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Let us know if the new one works.

Radar

Ben Wisdom Guest

Hello again RadarMan. Unfortunately, it seems that Sleepytime Gal was actually a repaint for a payware P38 and had nothing to do with David Copley's Models.

I won't be able to work on this problem after today as I'll be out of town for some time. However, if you or the others in this community have any suggestions for me in regards to my problem, please feel free to email me at my personal address (2benwisdom@gmail.com). I will hang on to all emails received and try to fix these birds when I get back. Keep the suggestions flowing. I truly appreciate the help!

Have a pleasant week and I'll reconnect when I return.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If the repaint is for another aircraft than what you have it will not work.
Repaints are usually made on blank models that the payware company provides if the designer made any.

Radar

Ben Wisdom Guest

Hello Again Everyone!

I'm back from vacation and am ready to try again to get those P38's I downloaded to work right so I can fly them.

I thought about one solution that may or may not work. I read something about leaving the .gau files in the P-38 Panel file rather than copying them to FSX Gauges file. Not sure if this will resolve my issue but I really want to fly the different paint schemes instead of just the single aircraft (Cobras in the Clouds).

Just a reminder. I downloaded nearly every variant of the David C. Copley P-38 Freeware models. basically everything but the P-38-M (Night Fighter) and the racer. The problem is that the gauges do not appear in either the 2D or VC panel views. When viewing the panel from VC view I see nothing but big black boxes where the gauges should be. The animated flight stick appears but nothing more. Similar problems are obvious in the 2D panel view. I see empty spaces and an olive-drab background where the gauges should be.

Right now, all of the gauges are in the FSX/Gauges file except those mentioned in David's readme files (something about the starter gauges for the starboard engine) I found those in the gauges file and relocated them to the P-38 Panel file.

Another note, the key to the whole problem may be that I am uncertain if the .GAU files associated with these aircraft have been properly converted to FSX. Basically, I found a P-38 Update on this site, downloaded it and then downloaded the other variants of the P-38 which were featured in that download from David Copley's own website. The only P38 variant that worked from the beginning is the P-38-J Cobra in the Clouds.

Please reply if you have any further suggestions.

PS: Does flyawaysim have its own multiplayer server? If so, what is the IP address. I'd very much like to fly with others again but I'm pretty fed up with the servers I've tried so far. Most of the time the servers listed on public domains are either filled with ghosts (they login and walk away) or snooty folks who don't play nice.

Keep 'em airborne!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Why not do it the easy way.
Open the downloaded gauge folder, make copies and dump 1 set into the main gauge folder and the downloaded folder will still have a full set of gauges, put that in with the aircraft folder which is in simobjects/airplane.

Can't hurt only can help.

No. sorry, we do not have a multiplayer server, try www.vatsim.net.

Radar

Ben Wisdom Guest

Uyh... I'd be tearing my hair out if it wasn't so short.

None of the above has worked at all and I'm about ready to scrap the whole blasted thing!

Anyone willing to do try chatting one-on-one or do a remote assistance request to help me fix this?

The planes look and sound fine but time and time again no gauges whatsoever.

Houston, we have a problem!q

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Too bad, I bet it's something simple that we all have missed.
Take a look at https://www.simshack.net/ and see what's on sale.

Radar

Ben Wisdom Guest

Hello Radar,

Unfortunately, I don't have expendable income to purchase any payware models. I think the main problem is that the update is set for FSX steam edition and the P38 models other than Cobra in the Clouds are meant for FS2004. As I said before, when I found that update I downloaded all the matching files from David Copley's own website. I think the whole situation is a matter of compatibility. I know other users have reported problems with their add-ons... even payware... when converting from Out Of The Box FSX to the Steam Edition. I've even seen users buying new planes via steam and having great difficulty with them.

I know I sounded really angry last night.. I've taken some time to cool off and I've decided that I'm not ready to give up on this problem just yet. I know you told me Fly Away Simulation doesn't have its own Multiplayer Server (and I did attempt to connect to a group via VATSIM's setup but I think those folks are just a bit too strict for me. I like the old days of the MSN Gaming Zone's setup where you logged in, picked a room, loaded the game and just flew whatever you wanted. No flight plans, no weather updates.. just one flyer amongst many.

I don't suppose you or anyone here participates in chat rooms (IE: Yahoo or ICQ etc?) I'm wondering if we couldn't get set up in a chat room and go over this step-by-step so there's no more foul-ups. I tried to find software that would allow me to convert FS2004 to FSX but to no avail. I'm wondering if it is possible to take add-on planes that are meant for FSX Steam edition and do a sort of rollback maneuver so they'll work in Out of the Box.

I really appreciate your trying so hard to help me. I actually tried going to Flightsim.com's forum for an issue with the default 747-400 but needless to say I had trouble there and never went back.

I'm going to try and get set up with a chat program of some kind and then I'll post the details so we can fix this once and for all.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Too bad about payware, we are all getting there.
I know vatsim is very "structured", I flew 2 or 3 times on ?Gamespy? many years ago with some friends.

As for connecting with others maybe someone will read this and get with you, I don't use them any longer.

Why not email him and see if he can help you fix the problem.
Designers are usually a nice bunch.

Radar

Ben Wisdom Guest

Done. No guarantees he'll reply or that he'll actually want to help though. Sigh...

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Ben Wisdom wrote:

Done. No guarantees he'll reply or that he'll actually want to help though. Sigh...

No there isn't but I'll bet he does.

Radar

Ben Wisdom Guest

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post a quick update. I still haven't heard back from Mr. Copley yet but I did some digging and found a software tool that converts FS2004 birds to FSX automatically. I tested it by downloading an FS2004 Spitfire Mk XIV Spiteful and I'm pleased to report that it worked.. somewhat. I can fly the bird just fine but there's some graphical distortion when viewing the canopy from the outside. A big black space appears just forward of the pilot and won't go away unless I tilt the camera a certain way.

I also tried it on the Lightnings and now the 2D panel works but still no luck on the VC. I much prefer to fly in VC view.

This little add-on module came from Flightsimtools.com. It's a restricted demo and they want $12 dollars to unlock it completely. I don't have the money for that... yes.. I'm that poor.. so I'm wondering if anyone else has an idea for software (preferably free with no strings attached) that does the same thing as this app. it registered all my add-ons as being in need of conversion (for some unknown reason) but I stopped the process and selected the Spiteful, my JU-52, the Spitfire and the Lightnings.

It's nice to finally see some progress on the path to fixing this annoying little glitch.. methinks we gots a long way to go yet.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Nice find!
I never heard of it and if I can remember the name 😂 I'll suggest it in the future to others.
Thanks for posting it, it will help others.
Glad you have something to fly even though it's not perfect.

Radar

Ben Wisdom Guest

Hey guys and gals.

I take back everything I said about that (CENSORED) converter I found. It treated ALL of my add-ons as if they were Fs2004 files and promptly corrupted them. Even when I got the FS2004 planes to work it wasn't anywhere near perfect. I suspect I got the converter in limited form cuz it kept pestering me about paying $12.00 for it. Worse, the only way to fully rid myself of this corrupt converter was to reinstall FSX and thereby lose all of my flight plans and settings.

I would advise EVERYONE to avoid this file like the plague. It is worthless.

I've waited a week now for Mr. Copley to respond to my inquiries with not even an acknowledgment that the message was received. I did see an obituary for David Copley but don't know if it's the same guy.

That's it. I've officially had enough of trying to get these files to work. Bye bye lightning.

Ben Wisdom Guest

Hey guys and gals.

I'm sorry I lost my temper back there. I really wanted those lightnings to work.

I think I may have just found out why Mr. Copley isn't answering my emails...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_C._Copley.

According to this... The David C. Copley I've been looking for.. is deceased. (If it's the same guy). He did say on his website that he had given up flight sim modeling because work took up most of his time. If he is dead... why is his site still functioning?

Anyway, Moderators please delete my last post. it is offensive and inappropriate. However, I meant what I said when I asked everyone to avoid the FS converter I found. It's completely worthless as it isn't smart enough to tell FSX native files from FS2004 port-overs. That, and if you don't clear the check boxes for FSX Native craft and features it converts everything it detects in one pass. What should be wispy white contrails behind your craft become thick black wavy lines as you turn and bank. Also, the exhaust and rotorwash effects are similarly damaged. If I could remember where I found it and who the author was I'd advise them to remove such garbage from the site.

As I said before, the only way I found to be most effective at removing this blight was to remove FSX and Acceleration completely and reinstall cold. I have restored about 90% of my files and settings. I'll just have to make fresh flight plans since I can't restore the ones I had before.

Again, I do apologize for ranting back there. If Mr. Copley is dead then I guess I'm out of options. Moderators, feel free to close this conversation.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...