Adding an airport using the "Addon Scenery" folder

Pro Member Trainee
gvcooper Trainee

I am using FSX Steam on Windows 7. I have downloaded the "Brisbane West Wellcamp" update from the FSX AFCAD files page. If I follow the simple directions in the readme it doesn't work for me. I've spent hours reading posts that relate to this problem, on this site and others. I'm left with the impression that if you don't hold your mouth at the right angle just as you click in the magic space you are never going to get it to work with Steam edition. Is this so?

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

After adding scenery, click on a blank area in the scenery section and reboot the Sim.
Odd but it works.

Radar

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

What does not work? Can you be more specific? Does it not show any changes in the sim? All FSX AFCAD files will work in FSX: Steam Edition (confirmed).

Pro Member Trainee
gvcooper Trainee

Thanks for your replies. I think I've got on top of the installation process now. What made me doubt myself was I used the "Brisbane West Wellcamp Airport" from the FSX ACAD Files download section on this website as a test installation. The description of the file states ...

"Brisbane West Wellcamp Airport (YBWW), Australia. This scenery includes ILS/DME approaches for both runways, ... ".

After installing it what I got was a single long runway, a taxi way with large trees growing in the middle of it and no hint of any navigation aids. So I went looking for YBWW on the web. airservicesaustralia.com charts confirm that there is only one runway with PAPI lights and that's all.

My reason for getting involved with airport installation is that I live in Armidale NSW. I have problems using the local airport YARM on the FSX SE sim. When you go to take off you have to fight to stay on the runway. The plane wants to dash off to the right. Until I had a lot more practice at landings on other airports I had no hope of landing on the runway at Armidale. It's skewed round as you approach and keeps moving as you get closer. I've used several other airports and none of them present this problem. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to either what I might be doing wrong or how to fix the airport.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
gvcooper Trainee

I recently did a full reinstall of FSX. I then set up a free flight out of Armidale. The problem was still there. I then added free flights out of three other airports just by changing the airport. As before I don't have the problem flying from them. So if the problem was caused for any of the reasons suggested in the MS article it surely should apply to all the flights I set up.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

There are "bugs" in FSX just like any other software.
This may be one of them.
Not much you can do except trying different ways or just take it as is.
Sorry it's an airport that you want most of all.

If you are willing to try something else you can try this...no guarantees.

https://www.robgraham.info/sdm_downloads/ybww-brisbane-west-wellcamp-airport/

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...