Downloading Huge Files

Pro Member Trainee
Ricebug Trainee

As soon as I joined, I found the FreeMesh-X-Global.zip and decided to download it. 45GB. Three days later, it was at the end of the file. Suddenly, my computer locks up hard. Cold re-boot. Not only had I lost the file, but all of my bookmarks in Chrome had been erased. All passwords, Favorites...everything!

I'm not sure if the huge file somehow choked the computer, but I've added some extensions and a download manager so it doesn't happen again.

I post this to warn others. Back up, use restore points, whatever, so you don't face a similar disaster.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Firstly, this is not the fault of the size of the file or downloading the file from our file library. There is nothing in the file that could cause this behavior. All files are scanned every 30 days to check for the latest vulnerabilities (unlike any other flight sim site).

It sounds to me that this could be a hard drive issue. Perhaps it stumbled across some bad sectors while writing such a large file that you may not have experienced if you didn't download it. I would run an extended SMART (check each sector) test on your drive to be sure.

You can try this:
https://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

Let us know what you find.

Pro Member Trainee
Ricebug Trainee

Yeah, I'm sure the problem was on this end. I've grabbed other files from FlyAway with no problem. Looks like there wasn't enough space on the drive to actually save the file once it was ready for baking onto the drive.

Using a commercial download manager solved the problem.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...