Hello again,
I'm in the process of trying to import an add-on aircraft into the Kiosk mode of FSX. All has gone well except for adding a picture to the Kiosk home screen. I have taken a screen shot, reduced it to the proper dimensions and saved it as a .bmp file using Paint.net, and copied it to the desktop. The problem arises when trying to add the image to the appropriate .flt file.
In the past I've used Notepad to enter and similarly modify FS9's [Main] file with no problem. But with FSX, although I'm able to write the screenshot file into FSX's [Main] file, when trying to close out of Notepad I get the dialog box "C:\Program Files\ etc... \You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission."
I am the only administrator of this computer.
Any assistance you can offer would be gratefully accepted. Right now I'm stymied. Thanks.
2 Answers
Right click on the FSX desktop icon and choose run as administrator.
I'm pretty sure the thumbnail should be a jpeg not a bmp.

When opening Notepad to insert the Screenshot into the [Main] section of the .flt file, open Notepad by right-clicking to reach menu containing "Run as administrator". Open Notepad with "Run as administrator". Operating the computer as an administrator -- even the only administrator -- is not enough. Running Notepad as an administrator will permit modifications to the .flt file to be successfully saved.
Still stuck on this question?
Ask Fly Away, our AI flight sim & aviation assistant, for an instant answer to this exact question — or ask the community below.
FSX — recently answered
FSXWhat KMCO scenery add-ons are available for FSX?Compare four freeware FSX KMCO scenery add-ons for Orlando, including gates, parking, jetways…Read answer →FSXIs there an FSX demo, and how can you try it?Download the legacy FSX demo, see what it includes, and fix common installation problems on…Read answer →FSXWhat KLAX scenery add-ons are available for FSX?Compare four KLAX scenery add-ons for FSX: a full airport rebuild, lightweight update, AFCAD…Read answer →FSXHow do I start the PMDG 737 cold and dark in FSX?Start the PMDG 737 NGX cold and dark in FSX with the correct power, IRS, APU, bleed-air, fuel…Read answer →
Trainee
Chief Captain