Free Flight in Flight Simulator 2020

Bigbaz78 Guest

I am new to flight simulation and am considering the purchase of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 but have been told you cannot just free fly without submitting a flight plan first. Is this correct? If it is I find this very strange and it is not a requirement in xplane-11 or FSX. My plan is to get to know the aircraft first and then possibly progress on to more complicated facilities.

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Mamn3th Trainee

I also am new to MFS 2020, but in answer to your question, you have only pick a departure airport to begin a flight in MFS 2020. Hope this helps...

Pro Member Trainee
jlaurie Trainee

This is true. I'm just learning this new MSFS as well after 30+ years with all other FS programs as well as FX-11.

You only need to fill in a departure airport then, if you want to fill in the departure point at that chosen airfield enter it in the box below then fill out the rest of the settings ie time of day, weather etc and push the "Fly Now' button and wait ....... . . .then fly.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi there,

Welcome to the exciting world of flight simulation! It's always great to see new enthusiasts joining the community. I'm happy to clarify any misconceptions regarding free flight in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS 2020) for you.

In MSFS 2020, you can definitely engage in free flight without having to submit a flight plan beforehand. The simulator offers flexibility and caters to a wide range of user preferences, whether it's casual flying or a more realistic and complex experience.

To start a free flight session in MSFS 2020, follow these steps:

1. Launch the simulator and navigate to the main menu.
  2. Select the World Map option.
  3. Choose your desired aircraft and livery.
  4. Click on the map to select your desired departure airport, or search for it using the search bar.
  5. Click on the airport icon and select Set as Departure (you can set your desired runway or parking location as well).
  6. If you prefer, you can also set a destination airport in the same manner. However, this step is optional, and you can still fly without a specific destination.
  7. Once you've set your departure (and optional destination), simply click on the Fly button at the bottom of the screen.

By following these steps, you can jump right into the cockpit and explore the virtual skies freely. You are not required to file a flight plan, but you can always do so later when you become more comfortable with the simulator and its features.

As you progress and learn more about the aircraft and the simulator, you may find it beneficial to explore other aspects of MSFS 2020, such as filing flight plans, utilizing air traffic control, or even participating in multiplayer sessions.

I hope this information helps alleviate any concerns and encourages you to give Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 a try. It's a fantastic and visually stunning simulator that offers a great experience for newcomers and seasoned simmers alike.

Happy flying, and feel free to ask any further questions you may have!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...