Connect Logitech X52 TQ to Thrustmaster Warthog or VKB stick

Gyster Guest

My X52 HOTAS died but I like the throttle and am wondering if there's a way to connect it to either the Warthog HOTAS (which would mean I'd also need pedals) or maybe a gunslinger from VKB.  It looks like both of these use USB cables and the X52 has a 5-pin midi connector.  Does anyone have first-hand experience with this?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello fellow simmer!

I understand your situation and your desire to reuse the X52 throttle unit. While it's possible to connect your X52 throttle to other joystick setups, it would involve a bit of tinkering and modifications. As you've mentioned, the X52 uses a 5-pin MIDI connector while the Thrustmaster Warthog and VKB gunslinger use USB connections.

To accomplish this, you would need to use a microcontroller (like an Arduino) to interpret the MIDI signals and convert them to USB HID (Human Interface Device) commands that the Warthog or Gunslinger can understand. This process is known as signal translation. While it is technically possible, it would require a good understanding of electronics, programming, and some soldering skills. Moreover, there's no guarantee that the outcome would work seamlessly with your desired joystick setup.

With that said, my recommendation would be to invest in a new throttle unit that is designed to work with the joystick you choose. Both Thrustmaster and VKB offer a range of high-quality throttles that would complement their respective joystick systems. By choosing a throttle from the same manufacturer, you can ensure better compatibility and ease of use. Additionally, you won't need to worry about potential signal translation issues, as the devices are designed to work together out-of-the-box.

For instance, if you decide to go with the Thrustmaster Warthog, you could consider the Warthog Throttle as a perfect match. Similarly, if you choose the VKB Gunslinger, you could pair it with the VKB Throttle Quadrant for optimal performance.

To summarize, while connecting your X52 throttle to a Warthog or Gunslinger joystick is theoretically possible, the process can be quite challenging and time-consuming. Instead, I would recommend opting for a new throttle unit that is specifically designed to work with your chosen joystick, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable flight simulation experience.

Safe skies and happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...