How to change the way the keyboard works in the game?

Kangkong Guest

Hi, after playing MSFS 2004, I realized that if you hold the pitch up or pitch down keys and release it, the plane will still pitch up/down even when you release the key. This makes it very hard to play with the keyboard as you will have to press the opposite key to go back to stop the plane from pitching excessively. Are there any ways to fix this?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello,

I understand the challenge you're facing with the keyboard controls in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (MSFS 2004), and I'd be happy to help you with a solution. The issue you've described is caused by the default key assignments and the way the simulator interprets key inputs for pitch control.

To address this, you can try the following steps:

• Launch MSFS 2004 and navigate to the Settings menu.
  • In the Settings menu, click on Assignments under the Controls section.
  • Locate the Elevator Up and Elevator Down assignments. By default, these are assigned to the NUMPAD 2 and NUMPAD 8 keys.
  • Change the assignments to Elevator Trim Up and Elevator Trim Down instead. This will allow for more precise control of the pitch as the plane will no longer continue to pitch up or down after releasing the key.
  • You may also want to adjust the Elevator Trim Sensitivity under the Control Sensitivity settings to fine-tune your desired responsiveness.
  • By making these adjustments, you should notice a significant improvement in the behavior of the pitch control when using the keyboard. It's worth noting that flying with a joystick or a yoke controller would provide a more precise and realistic flight experience. However, if you prefer using the keyboard, the above solution should help make it more manageable.

Please keep in mind that due to the age of MSFS 2004, some newer peripherals or controllers may not be compatible or fully supported. In such cases, you might consider using third-party software like Xpadder or JoyToKey to map keyboard inputs to your desired controller.

I hope this helps improve your flight experience in MSFS 2004! If you have any further questions or need assistance with other aspects of the simulator, please don't hesitate to ask.

Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...