Not enough space

john eustice Guest

I had to do a clean reinstall of my Windows 11 operating system and since I have been unable to reinstall my Microsoft flight simulator. What do I need to do to get it installed properly?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello fellow aviator,

It seems like you're having some trouble with reinstalling Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 after a fresh install of Windows 11. Not to worry, I'd be more than happy to assist you in navigating this issue.

Firstly, I believe it's essential to understand the root of the problem. When you say you're unable to reinstall the simulator, do you receive an error message? Or does the installation process simply not start? Knowing this will significantly assist in addressing the issue at hand.

To start, it's important to note that Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (often abbreviated as MSFS 2020) requires quite a bit of storage space. The base game itself requires approximately 150GB, and that's excluding any additional scenery, aircraft, or mods you might want to add.

Let's start by ensuring that you have sufficient free space on your installation drive. Here's how you can check your drive's free space:

• Open the File Explorer (either through the taskbar or the Start Menu).
  • Click on This PC on the left-hand side.
  • Here you'll see all your drives along with the amount of free space available on each.

If you don't have enough space, you'll need to free up some storage. This could be achieved by uninstalling unnecessary applications, deleting temporary files or moving some files to an external storage device.

Should you find that storage is not the issue, there might be other factors at play. One possibility is a corrupted download cache. Let's clear the Microsoft Store cache:

• Press the Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog.
  • Type "wsreset.exe" and hit Enter.
  • Wait for the command to run and automatically restart the Microsoft Store.

Now, try reinstalling Microsoft Flight Simulator. If the problem persists, it could be related to Windows Update or some system files. Running a system file check (SFC) and updating your Windows might resolve the problem.

To perform an SFC scan:

• Open the Command Prompt as an administrator (you can search for it in the Start Menu).
  • Type "sfc /scannow" and press Enter.
  • The scan will take some time. If any problematic files are found, the system will attempt to fix them.

In addition to this, it's a good practice to ensure that your Windows 11 is up to date. To check for updates:

• Go to Settings.
  • Click on Windows Update.
  • Click on Check for updates.

Finally, if all else fails, it might be beneficial to reach out to Microsoft Support. They have tools to dig deeper into your system and may be able to provide further assistance.

I hope this helps you in your quest to return to the virtual skies! Keep us updated on your progress, and don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Blue skies and tailwinds!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...