Download of MSFS2020 on new computer

Arnold Basler Guest

I purchased MSFS 2020 Standard from Microsoft Store in 2020. I registered on my Microsoft account on my new computer and it was confirmed, even though I own MSFS 2020. Then I clicked download which was done very quickly and then I could click Play, but nothing happens. Might have to do with Xbox which I never used and don't understand.
How do I get my MSFS 2020 on my computer?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there,

It sounds like you're experiencing a bit of a speed bump with getting MSFS 2020 (Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020) up and running on your new machine. These hiccups can be quite common with digital downloads, and even more so when we're dealing with a platform like the Microsoft Store. Don't worry though, let's walk through some steps to help you out.

First off, you mentioned that the download was completed very quickly. Considering the size of MSFS 2020, this suggests that the actual game data might not have downloaded correctly. It could be that only the "stub" or installer was downloaded.

Step 1: Go to your Microsoft Store App on your PC and click on the three dots at the top right corner. Click on Downloads and Updates, then check if MSFS 2020 is listed there. If it is, see if there's an option to download more content. This is to ensure you're not just running the stub installer.

Step 2: If the above doesn't work, I'd recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the game. To uninstall, simply right-click the game in the Start Menu and select Uninstall. To reinstall, go back to the Microsoft Store and locate MSFS 2020 in your library, then click Install. Keep in mind that MSFS 2020 is a large game and it could take quite a while to download depending on your internet speed.

Step 3: About the Xbox app, it's actually crucial for running games from the Microsoft Store. If you haven't already, download the Xbox app from the Microsoft Store. Sign in with the same Microsoft account you used to purchase MSFS 2020. The Xbox app is used to manage game installations and updates for Microsoft Store games, so it's pretty vital.

Step 4: Lastly, ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for MSFS 2020. You'll need at least Windows 10, an Intel Core i5-4460 or AMD Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 8GB RAM, and a graphics card that supports DirectX 11 (Nvidia GTX 770 or AMD Radeon RX 570). Anything less than these specs could lead to the game not launching correctly.

I hope these steps help you get back in the virtual skies! If you continue to have issues, don't hesitate to post back here for more assistance.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...