can i download my steam edition in to my xbox

charles rawlings Guest

Can I download my MSFS steam edition on to my Xbox?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Your question relates to whether you can port your Steam version of Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) over to your Xbox. Regrettably, I must inform you that this is not possible. Here's why.

• Distinct Licenses: In essence, the Steam and Xbox platforms operate under separate licenses. Although both are selling the same game (MSFS 2020), they are treated as distinct entities. Therefore, a purchase on one platform does not confer ownership on the other.
  • Different Platforms: There are technical differences between the Xbox and PC versions of MSFS. The Xbox version is optimized specifically for Xbox hardware, while the Steam edition is designed for the broader spectrum of PC hardware. Consequently, transferring content across these platforms is not as straightforward as it may seem.
  • Steam and Xbox Interoperability: Unfortunately, Steam and Xbox do not share any form of interoperability in terms of game ownership. Although both platforms support MSFS 2020, they function independently from each other.

However, Microsoft does offer a solution that may cater to your needs - Xbox Play Anywhere. Here's how it works:

• Xbox Play Anywhere: This is a program that allows you to purchase a game once, through the Microsoft Store on Xbox or Windows 10, and own it on both platforms. If you purchase MSFS 2020 via the Microsoft Store, you will be able to play it on both your PC and your Xbox without needing to repurchase the game. However, this feature does not extend to the Steam platform.
  • Cross-Save Functionality: With Xbox Play Anywhere, you can start a game on your Xbox, then pick up where you left off on your Windows 10 PC (and vice versa). This seamless transition is made possible because your game data is saved in the cloud.

From my knowledge, I'm afraid there's no workaround to this limitation. Therefore, if you wish to enjoy the Microsoft Flight Simulator on both PC and Xbox, the Xbox Play Anywhere program would be your best bet.

Please keep in mind that similar limitations apply to other popular flight simulator platforms, like X-Plane 12. Licenses and game data are generally tied to the platform of purchase and may not be transferable to other platforms.

I hope this clears up your query. Do let me know if you have any other questions!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...