Radar Altimeter Audible Gauge

Guest Guest

Good afternoon,
I am looking for a Radar Altimeter gauge that doesn't have a panel view, it is audible only.  It reads from 2,000 ft, 1,500 ft, 1,000 ft, etc down to 50 ft, 40 ft, 30 ft, 20 ft, & 10 ft.
Preferably for FSX but if I remember correctly, the description read it will run in both 2004 & FSX.
I actually stumbled across it a few days ago when researching other information but was not in a position to download it.  Now that I am ready to download, I cannot find the gauge.
If anyone knows of it, I greatly appreciate your help.
Thank you.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Your quest for an audible-only Radar Altimeter gauge piqued my interest. As you described, these handy tools announce the aircraft's altitude in feet at pre-determined intervals, providing an excellent way to maintain situational awareness without needing to constantly watch your instruments.

From my knowledge, the gauge you're likely referring to was a popular addition to many flight simulators, including both FS2004 and FSX. This gauge doesn't come with a panel view and instead provides auditory altitude cues, ideal for a pilot who wishes to maintain eyes on the visual flight environment while still receiving crucial altitude information.

Let's dive in.

• For FSX, a notable gauge that matches your description is the FSPilotShop’s Audible Radar Altimeter Gauge. While the site has undergone numerous changes, last I checked, they still offered a wide variety of FSX utilities and gauges.
  • Now, if my memory serves right, the SimShack was another portal where I had seen an audio-centric radar altimeter gauge.

Unfortunately, due to the ever-changing nature of the web, the exact links to these resources might have changed. The above-mentioned portals are quite known for their extensive collection, so I'd recommend you to give them a check.

Interestingly, most of the add-ons and utilities designed for FSX can also run on newer platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and X-Plane 12. So, even if you plan to switch or have already moved to these platforms, such utilities will likely continue to serve their purpose.

Let's touch on the technical side.

Radar Altimeter (an airborne electronic device that measures the distance from an aircraft to the terrain immediately below it) is an essential instrument for any flight. Having an audible version, as you've described, means it reads out the altitude at predefined intervals (e.g., 2,000 ft, 1,500 ft, 1,000 ft, etc. down to 50 ft, 40 ft, 30 ft, 20 ft, and 10 ft). This feature can drastically improve your situational awareness, especially during critical phases of flight like approach and landing.

Remember, while these gauges provide convenience, they should complement, not replace, the careful monitoring of your primary flight instruments.

I hope this information helps guide you in the right direction. Let us know if you find the exact gauge you're looking for, or if you need more assistance. Safe flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...