CPU/GPU requirements to prevent "shimmering" in MSFS VR

ERICFELLOWS Guest

VR image shimmering during movement but steady when no motion.
I've tried various settings on GPU and overclocking CPU but no real difference..
Baseboard is PrimeZ490-P
CPU  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
GPU  AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
Memory 32 G DDR-4
Headset  quest 2
Can you suggest an affordable upgrade?
Thanks

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

I understand the frustrations of dealing with VR image shimmering, especially when you've tried adjusting settings and even overclocking. Let's dissect this piece by piece to come up with a solution that aligns with your current setup.

1. Understanding the Issue:
Shimmering in VR typically arises due to discrepancies between the rendered resolution and the display resolution of your headset. It can also be exacerbated by anti-aliasing settings or when a VR scene is overloaded with intricate details.

2. GPU & CPU Settings:
You mentioned you've tried various settings on your GPU and even overclocking your CPU. Anti-aliasing (a technique used to smooth out jagged lines) can sometimes result in shimmering if not set appropriately. Ensure you've experimented with settings like TAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing), which is known to work well for VR in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

3. System Check:
Your system specs, particularly the AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, should technically handle MSFS in VR without much trouble. But, it's worth noting that VR requires significantly more computational power compared to standard displays. This is because it needs to render a scene twice (once for each eye) and maintain a higher frame rate for a comfortable experience.

4. Quest 2 & Link Cable:
Are you using the official Oculus Link Cable or a third-party one? Sometimes the cable quality and transmission rate can impact the visual quality in VR.

5. Potential Solutions:

• Review your in-simulator graphics settings. Lowering certain demanding settings (like shadows, reflections, or cloud quality) can lead to performance improvements in VR.
  • Ensure your GPU drivers are up-to-date. Sometimes, driver updates can include performance enhancements specifically tailored for VR.
  • Consider upgrading the headset or exploring external software that can refine VR performance for your existing setup.
  • Instead of going for a complete hardware overhaul, you might want to look into an external cooling system. Sometimes, maintaining a cooler temperature can enhance performance, especially if you're overclocking.

6. Affordable Upgrade Options:
If after trying all the above, you're still facing issues and considering an upgrade, my suggestion would be:

• GPU: If you decide to upgrade, you might consider NVIDIA's RTX series, known for their ray tracing capabilities and performance in VR settings.
  • CPU: While your current CPU is solid, the Intel i9 series offers slightly better performance, especially in multi-threaded applications like MSFS.

Remember, before investing in new hardware, it's crucial to pinpoint where the bottleneck is occurring. Utilize tools and monitor system performance to determine if it's indeed a hardware limitation causing the shimmering.

If you can provide more details about the exact settings you've tried and specific scenarios where you notice the shimmering most, I can offer more targeted advice.

Hoping this helps! Safe virtual skies!

ERIC FELLOWS Guest

Many thank for your time and suggestions Ian. I'll give then a shot and hopefully get a result.
I forgot to mention that I use "airLink" rather than cable. I do have a cable although 
not the official one, not a cheapy one either. The problem is worse with the cable link.

Cheers

Miken1074 Guest

Hello. I have the same issue, my quest 3 seems to work better via the link rather than the cable plugged into usb 3.  This can't be right?   I have my pc hardwired into Virginmedia 1gb so my internet is very strong.  I have the flight sim working "ok" but the up close terrain isn't very clear and some juddering when I move my head around the cockpit.  Is this down to my graphics card being a MSI 2070?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...