How to Use VR with Microsoft Flight Simulator

Oliver Harboard Guest

So I am new to flight simulators and while loving the immersion of MSFS - I'd like to take it to the next level and run in some kind of VR system.  VR is all new to me so I am looking for advice and pointers on how to be able to run this simulator in virtual reality.

What headset do I need?  Any advice on hardware and how to set it up?  I am currently running the simulator on PC (not Xbox) so I presume more is available for compatibility.

Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated.

OJ.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello OJ,

Diving into the world of virtual reality (VR) with Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020 is a thrilling leap towards an incredibly immersive experience. Here's a step-by-step guide to get you airborne in the VR realm.

1. Choosing the Right VR Headset

• Compatibility: Ensure that the headset is compatible with MSFS 2020. Popular choices include Oculus Rift S, HTC Vive, and Valve Index. Each offers distinct features, so consider things like display quality, comfort, and price.
  • Resolution and Field of View: Higher resolution and wider field of view enhance realism, crucial for a flight simulator.

2. Hardware Requirements

• MSFS 2020 is resource-intensive, especially in VR. Your PC should meet the recommended specs: a robust CPU (like Intel i7), a powerful GPU (NVIDIA GTX 1080 or better), and at least 16GB RAM.
  • Consider upgrading your hardware for an optimal experience. A smoother frame rate is key in VR to prevent motion sickness.

3. Setting Up the VR System

• Install the VR software provided by the headset manufacturer.
  • Connect the headset to your PC, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Launch MSFS 2020 and enable VR mode in the settings. This might require some tweaking to balance performance and visual fidelity.

4. Tips for a Better Experience

• Start with short sessions to acclimate to VR and avoid motion sickness.
  • Adjust the settings for comfort – things like seat position and eye relief make a big difference.
  • Consider additional peripherals like flight sticks or rudder pedals for an even more immersive experience.

Note: If you encounter specific issues or have more detailed queries, don't hesitate to ask for further assistance. VR in flight simulation can be complex, but the payoff in realism and immersion is unparalleled.

Remember, MSFS 2020 and VR technology are constantly evolving. Keeping your software and drivers up to date will ensure the best experience.

Fly safe and enjoy the virtual skies!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...