Trouble Running Microsoft Flight Simulator on Apple Mac Mini with M1 Chip via Steam

Chuck Studebaker Guest

I have an Apple Mac Mini with the M1 chip and 16 GB of memory but have been unable to get the Steam Flight sim to work.....any help?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Firstly, I must say that running a powerful title like Microsoft Flight Simulator on an Apple Mac, especially via Steam, does present some inherent challenges. The M1 chip, while groundbreaking in its architecture, does require some specific considerations when attempting to run software primarily designed for Windows platforms.

1. Windows for ARM on M1 Macs:
From my knowledge, the most direct approach to run Microsoft Flight Simulator on your M1 Mac would be through the ARM version of Windows. Parallels Desktop, for instance, allows you to run Windows ARM64 on Macs with the M1 chip. After installing Windows ARM64, you can then install the Steam application and subsequently the simulator.

2. Graphics Driver Compatibility:
The M1 chip, with its integrated GPU, is different from the dedicated graphics cards in most gaming PCs. Ensure you have the latest graphics drivers compatible with the M1 architecture, or any updates Apple might have pushed to improve graphics performance and compatibility.

3. Memory Allocation:
With 16 GB of memory, you should be fine for basic operations. However, consider allocating more virtual memory for intense tasks like flight simulation.

4. Verify Game Files on Steam:
Occasionally, game installations via Steam might be incomplete or corrupt. Using the 'Verify Integrity of Game Files' option in Steam might solve any issues tied to corrupt game files.

5. Steam Play & Proton:
Steam has a feature called Steam Play, which utilizes a compatibility layer named Proton, enabling Windows games to run on Linux platforms. While this isn't directly related to macOS, there's potential for crossover compatibility.

6. Seek Support from Forums:
While you've reached out here, and I hope this response serves as a starting point, I'd also recommend diving into specific Mac-focused flight sim communities. They might have workarounds or specific solutions that have worked for them.

In conclusion, while challenges exist, with the right adjustments and tools, getting Microsoft Flight Simulator to work on your M1 Mac Mini via Steam is possible. If you could provide more specifics about the issues you're encountering, I might be able to guide you better. Are there any error messages or particular roadblocks you're facing?

Safe flights, and fingers crossed you'll be soaring through those virtual skies soon!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...