FSX Deluxe Edition & Acceleration Not Launching: How to Troubleshoot?

Bull Meechum Guest

Hello, I have FSX Deluxe Edition and Acceleration installed on my PC (not Steam) and haven't used it in quite some time. Just tried clicking on the FSX.EXE file and I get about 1 second of a little spinning blue circle and then nothing. NOTHING. As if I never clicked on it at all! If I right-click on it and Run as Administrator I get a popup window first that asks if I want to allow this app to make changes to my device. I click OK and then I just get the same 1 second of little spinning blue circle and nothing happens - just like when I only double click on it...Any ideas?

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

The issue you're experiencing with FSX Deluxe Edition and Acceleration is not uncommon and can be due to various factors. Let's diagnose and troubleshoot your problem systematically.

1. Compatibility Issues: Sometimes, with new Windows updates, FSX might not be fully compatible.
    • Solution:
    • Right-click on the FSX.EXE file.
    • Select Properties.
    • Go to the Compatibility tab.
    • Tick the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for and select an older version of Windows (Windows 7 is often recommended).
  2. Corrupted Configurations: Over time, configuration files can get corrupted which can lead to such issues.
    • Solution:
    • Navigate to the FSX main directory and locate the fsx.CFG file.
    • Rename this file to fsx.CFG.OLD or simply delete it.
    • When you next launch FSX, it will create a new configuration file.
  3. Missing or Corrupt DLLs: Some essential DLLs might be missing or have become corrupt.
    • Solution:
    • You can use tools like the System File Checker to scan and repair missing or corrupted system files.
  4. Administrator Rights: Sometimes the simulator needs full administrative rights to access certain system resources.
    • Solution:
    • As you've already tried running it as an administrator, consider giving it permanent administrative rights by going to the FSX.EXE properties, then to the Compatibility tab, and ticking the box for Run this program as an administrator.
  5. Graphics Driver Conflicts: Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can also lead to such issues.
    • Solution:
    • Ensure you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card. Consider visiting the official website of your GPU manufacturer to fetch the latest drivers.
  6. Reinstallation: As a last resort, if none of the above solutions work, consider reinstalling FSX.
    • Solution:
    • Uninstall FSX entirely.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Install FSX once again.

It's essential to remember that while the solutions mentioned above have been known to work with Microsoft Flight Simulator X, they might also be applicable to newer simulators such as Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and X-Plane 12, though with slight adjustments depending on the system requirements and configurations of those platforms.

If the issue persists or if the information provided is not clear, please provide more details regarding your system's specifications, any error messages, or other relevant details. This will enable me to assist you further.

Safe flying and hope you get back in the virtual skies soon!

Bull Meechum Guest

Ian, thanks for the quick reply. Tried all the compatability measures. No luck. Couldn't delete FSX.cfg because there wasn't even one of those  to be found. Tried the administrator options - no luck. Updated all the drivers - no change. Haven't tried the dll stuff yet and I hope it doesn't come down to uninstall/reinstall...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...