Quick question about the former Kai Tak airport of HongKong

Guest Guest

Is this airport/scenario/scenery included in FS2004 ? Or do I have to download an add-on?

After browsing other avation enthusiast sites (flightlevel350.com, airliners.net) it seems to me that this airport was the "wet-dream", to quote from a great article on airliners.net, of all pilots.

There are many infamous photos and videos of 747s landing/semi-crashing onto runway 13 with extremely abnormal final approaches. The following photos speak for themselves.

Ouch.

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

It might be me, but I don't see any pictures.

I have heard of this airport, and I think it is in FS9. Apparently, you have to have a separate license to land a commercial jet there. Fear

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Mad No pics

Ive had a look and none of the links you used work Doh!

Sorry

I have found this link that works with a few pics ➡

Guest Guest

Damn! The pics work just fine for me.

Okay, let me try one more time.

Guest Guest

okay, if all else fails, here are the links:

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

There are two airports, VHHX listed as old, and VHHM. Both are named hong Kong International.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Foot note for 1st photo ➡

Hi honey Im home,errr I got fired today

I think the problem is airliners.net do not allow hot linking of there files

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

This is the old Kai Tak (1925-199😎 airport:

Hong Kong Intl (old) (VHHX)

Latitude: N22*19.02'
Longitude: E114*12.16'
Elevation: 0 FT

Runway Length Surface ILS ID ILS Freq ILS Hdg
13 10930 Concrete
31 10930 Concrete

Some interesting facts and stats on this airport are here: http://www.cad.gov.hk/english/kaitak.html

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

It is in fs9 but the default scenery is not very good.Hong Kong scenery makes it very realistic but its patware 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Do they still use this airport for commercial traffic, or am I right in thinking that they now use a modern Hong Kong airport?

Guest Guest

Kai Tak was closed on July 6, 1998. The new airpot is Chek Lap Kok.

The passsenger terminal was eventually transformed into government offices, automobile dealerships, go kart racecourse, snooker, recreational facilities, bowling alley, car sales showroom and golf range.

captain_alexjr Guest

IS it me or is the former airport really dangerouse to land and takeoff?? 😳 ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

Go to airsidetv.com and watch the md-11 and 747 landing at Kai Tak.

It was considered a little dangerous. The wind plus the lead in approach made it tricky at least.

There is a nice addon package for the kai tak airport which adds a TREMENDOUS amount of scenery as well as adventure flights. VERY good!!!! It is around 20.00$ though.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...