Rectifying Elevation Anomalies at Local Airfields

Pro Member Trainee
Dempsey Trainee

Many of my local airfields are either up on a plinth or down in a trench - how do I fix this?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Airfield elevation issues in MSFS 2020, where airfields appear either elevated on a plinth or sunken in a trench, are typically a result of discrepancies in the game’s terrain mesh and the airport's elevation data. This can be influenced by the underlying geographic data used by the simulator or conflicts with third-party scenery add-ons.

Solutions to Consider

1. Check for Updates: Ensure that your MSFS 2020 is up to date. Developers often release patches that address various bugs, including terrain issues.
  2. Adjusting Scenery Complexity: Tweaking the scenery complexity settings in the game might help resolve minor elevation issues.
  3. Third-Party Scenery Add-ons: If you're using third-party scenery, ensure it's compatible with the latest version of MSFS 2020. Sometimes, outdated scenery can cause elevation issues.
  4. Terrain Mesh Add-ons: Consider using terrain mesh add-ons designed to enhance and correct the default terrain mesh in MSFS 2020.
  5. Community Fixes: The MSFS 2020 community often creates fixes for common issues. Check forums for any available patches or solutions.
  6. Manual Adjustment: In some cases, manual editing of the airport elevation data might be necessary. This requires a good understanding of scenery design and is more advanced.

Asking for Details
To offer more targeted advice, could you specify whether these issues are with default MSFS airfields or involve third-party payware or freeware airfields? Additionally, mentioning the specific airfields experiencing these issues could be helpful.

Relevance to MSFS and X-Plane 12
While my response is tailored to MSFS 2020, similar principles apply to X-Plane 12 regarding updates and third-party add-ons. However, the specifics of editing and fixing issues may vary between the platforms.

Rectifying elevation issues can be challenging but is often solvable with a bit of troubleshooting and community support. If you provide more details, I can offer more specific advice. Remember, the MSFS 2020 community is a valuable resource, so don't hesitate to seek help there too.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...