Enhancing Compatibility of TrackIR5 with Prepar3D v5 on Advanced Computer Systems

Baffin 2023 Guest

TrackIR5 has always worked properly for me on multiple computer builds since it was released.  It functions properly in Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 in all respects on my new rig (Verbose details below) until I play Prepar3D at which time it is simply inactive.  I have applied every "fix" I can find on the internet with no success.  Driver, program reinstall, etc.  I have been a TrackIR user since version 2 and would appreciate some advice from Natural Point to get my Prepar3D simulator working with head tracking.

Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

It sounds like you're experiencing a unique challenge with TrackIR5 integration on your new, high-specification system, particularly with Prepar3D v5. Given your detailed setup and the steps you've already taken, let's delve into a comprehensive approach to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve this issue.

Firstly, it's commendable that you've attempted the usual fixes such as driver updates and software reinstalls. These are always the first steps in troubleshooting peripheral device issues. However, given the complexity and specificity of flight simulation setups, sometimes more nuanced measures are necessary.

Step 1: Compatibility Mode and Administrator Rights
Ensure that both Prepar3D and TrackIR software are set to run in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows, such as Windows 10. Right-click on the application shortcut, go to Properties -> Compatibility, and select the compatibility mode. Also, check 'Run this program as an administrator' to grant it necessary permissions.

Step 2: Direct SimConnect Integration
Prepar3D v5, being a sophisticated platform, heavily relies on SimConnect for third-party integration. Verify that TrackIR's SimConnect version is compatible with your Prepar3D v5. Sometimes, mismatched versions can lead to non-communication between the software and the peripheral.

Step 3: USB Power Management
Windows 11 introduces more aggressive power management strategies, which could inadvertently affect peripheral devices. Go to Device Manager, find USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) properties, and under Power Management, uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. This ensures constant power supply to TrackIR, eliminating disconnects during operation.

Step 4: Firewall and Antivirus Exceptions
Occasionally, firewall and antivirus software can block communication between TrackIR and Prepar3D. Adding exceptions for both applications in your security software might be necessary to ensure uninterrupted communication.

Step 5: Configuring Prepar3D.cfg
Editing the Prepar3D.cfg file can sometimes enhance compatibility. Adding specific entries related to TrackIR can force Prepar3D to recognize and prioritize the device. However, proceed with caution and ensure you have backups before modifying configuration files.

Step 6: Community and Support Forums
Engage with the community on forums such as Fly Away Simulation and the official Prepar3D forums. Many users share similar setups and might have encountered and resolved the same issue. Additionally, reaching out to Natural Point's support can provide insights specific to TrackIR's integration with Prepar3D.

• Compatibility checks and adjustments
  • Direct intervention via SimConnect
  • USB power settings optimization
  • Firewall and antivirus configurations
  • Advanced Prepar3D.cfg tweaks
  • Community engagement and official support

Remember, flight simulation platforms and peripherals like TrackIR are constantly evolving, with updates and patches frequently addressing compatibility issues. Keeping software up-to-date is crucial.

Lastly, given the sophistication of your setup, ensure that all hardware drivers, especially for your NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090, are current. Driver incompatibilities can sometimes manifest in peripheral malfunctions.

I hope these steps guide you towards a resolution. Please keep us updated on your progress, and don't hesitate to provide more details or ask for further clarification.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...