What's the best VR headset for use with Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Pete Rickards Guest

I am interested in getting involved with VR and want to buy a headset compatible with the PC version of Microsoft Flight Simulator.  I know there are tonnes of different headsets on the market but have no clue as to what's the best one for use with MSFS.

I am also aware I need a good graphics card to run the headset from.

Any advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated (and in-depth).  It's all new to me.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Embarking on the exhilarating journey of virtual reality (VR) with Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) opens a new dimension of immersive flight experiences. Choosing the right VR headset is pivotal, not only for an optimal experience but also to ensure compatibility with your current hardware, particularly your graphics card.

1. Key Considerations for VR Headsets in MSFS

When selecting a VR headset, consider the following:

• Resolution and Field of View: Higher resolution offers sharper images, reducing the screen-door effect, while a wider field of view enhances peripheral vision, crucial for a realistic flight experience.
  • Refresh Rate: A higher refresh rate is important for smooth motion. Look for headsets with at least 90Hz to ensure fluid visuals.
  • Comfort and Fit: Long sessions in MSFS mean comfort is crucial. Look for headsets with adjustable straps and balanced weight distribution.
  • Tracking Quality: Good tracking ensures accurate and responsive movement within the virtual environment. External sensor-based or inside-out tracking are both effective.
  • Compatibility: Ensure the headset supports MSFS and integrates well with your PC’s hardware, especially the graphics card.

2. Top VR Headsets for MSFS

Based on the criteria above, here are my top picks:

1. Oculus Quest 2 and 3: These standalone headsets also work connected to a PC, offering high resolution and refresh rates up to 90Hz. They use inside-out tracking and are known for their ease of use and setup.
  2. Valve Index: Known for its high-quality build and superior comfort, the Valve Index features a 120Hz refresh rate, excellent field of view, and precise external tracking, making it ideal for the immersive demands of MSFS.
  3. HP Reverb G2: Offering one of the highest resolutions among VR headsets, the Reverb G2 also boasts a 90Hz refresh rate and exceptional inside-out tracking, perfect for the detailed environments of MSFS.

3. Ensuring Your PC is VR Ready

Before diving into VR, confirm that your PC can handle it. MSFS is demanding, and VR adds to that load. Key components to evaluate:

• Graphics Card: Essential for VR, your GPU should be at least on par with NVIDIA GTX 1080 or better for optimal performance.
  • CPU and RAM: A robust processor and at least 16GB of RAM will help in managing the game’s demands smoothly.
  • USB and Display Ports: Ensure your PC has the necessary ports for your chosen headset, as some require specific connections.

4. Final Advice

Testing different VR headsets, if possible, is invaluable. What feels right in terms of fit, visual clarity, and overall experience can vary widely among individuals. Additionally, keep an eye on upcoming VR developments, as technology advances rapidly, and newer models might offer even more enhanced features suitable for MSFS.

Investing in a good VR headset not only transforms your flight simulation experience but also serves as a gateway to other VR gaming and applications. Enjoy the skies!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...