Best Place to get Freeware Aircraft for MSFS?

Peter Lambert Guest

So I am on a tight budget and really don't want to spend any money on "payware" - my roots are with freeware and I've been simming since FS98.  The freeware community was always huge but I'm finding it hard to get any decent freeware aircraft since the MSFS 2020 release (which I am not using - albeit under duress).

Can you recommend any (and the best) places to get freeware aircraft for Microsoft Flight Simulator?  Also, the aircraft will need to be compatible with the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 released soon.  Do you know if existing aircraft with work with the 2024 version of the sim?

Many thank for help and advice in advance.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there,

I understand the challenge of sourcing quality freeware aircraft, especially with the shifts in the flight simulation community since the days of FS98. The freeware community remains vibrant, and I'm happy to point you in the right direction.

Where to Find Freeware Aircraft for Microsoft Flight Simulator

One of the best resources is right here on Fly Away Simulation. We have a dedicated section for freeware MSFS addons that is regularly updated. Here are some categories you might find particularly interesting:

These sections offer a wealth of aircraft models created by talented members of the community. You'll find everything from classic prop planes to modern jets.

Compatibility with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024

As for the upcoming Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024, it's an exciting time with many questions about addon compatibility. From my knowledge:

• Potential Compatibility: Microsoft has indicated that many addons from MSFS 2020 will be compatible with MSFS 2024. However, this isn't guaranteed for all addons.
  • Developer Updates: Freeware developers often update their aircraft to ensure compatibility with new simulator versions.
  • Community Efforts: The flight sim community is known for collaborative efforts to update and fix addons.

What You Can Do

• Stay Updated: Keep an eye on the Fly Away Simulation forums for news about compatibility.
  • Backup Addons: Make sure to back up your current addons before transitioning to the new simulator.
  • Engage with Developers: If there's a particular aircraft you love, consider reaching out to the developer to inquire about future updates.

Final Thoughts

While budget constraints can limit access to payware, the freeware community continues to thrive. By leveraging the resources available, you can enhance your simulation experience without any additional cost.

If you have more questions or need assistance with specific aircraft, feel free to ask. We're all here to help each other enjoy the skies.

Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...