wet runway textures

Pro Member Trainee
ArchAngel_06 Trainee

Hey yall. I saw a screenshot, I dont remember where, but it was of a Continental Airliner parked at the gate in the middle of a rain storm. What I noticed that was great was that I could see the reflection of the jet on the wet runway. Have you all heard of a texture fix like this or was I jsut photoshopped. 🙂

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Have a look here ➡

(dead link removed)

This was posted elsewhere at flyaway

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
ArchAngel_06 Trainee

Yeah thats the stuff Im talking abou, it was a different pic but same idea. Maybe it was just painted. Someone should come out with an adaptive texture fix like that. That would look so good.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I think it was him (the water texture dude) or someone similar that was talking about another picture he created. I'll try and find a link for it.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yup it's him, here is what he said:

Hi guys.

Jonathan Van Duyn (JVD) contacted me this morning and asked me where to get the reflection textures. Sadly, such technologies doesn’t exist for simulator. Do you guys realize how much polygon it you mean for the computer to render this effect? Absolutely none of our pc could do that live. Not even with just one frame rate per second (FPS). Even with an static image it would take several hours to generate this kind of effect.

So sorry guys, there is only way to make these effects; create them yourself with Adobe Photoshop. And once on Adobe, there is no magic effect or function that automatically make the reflection effects that you see in my pictures. You need some creativity and a lot of knowledge with Adobe to make this kind of pictures.

Sadly, once again, sorry I cant tell you how to make these effects because they are trade a secret.

And as a proof that I’m the one who make this picture and created it here is a link to my website: (dead link removed) look for the image called “F-GDBG - Rain - Proof”

Feel free to visit the website. It is instructive and funny. (dead link removed)

Best regards

Samy Fay
Master painter

Great shame as it looks fab!!

Pro Member Trainee
ArchAngel_06 Trainee

So they're all just static painting huh... Wow, hes good, no doubt. Looks great! Maybe thats something they could look at in MSFS06, if they can figure out how to make it FR friendly.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeh thats what he was saying. It is pretty much impossible to get something even near that higher quality texture and put it in the sim without a great hit to the FPS. Shame.......

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Does anyone know where these FX can created cause then i'll get to work on trying to make something like this.

Pro Member Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

create them yourself with Adobe Photoshop

PhunkMaZ Guest

Sadly, such technologies doesn’t exist for simulator.

The technology about he's talking are pixel and vertex shaders. With a possibility to move texture or surfaces through a pipeline, it could be possible.

Do you guys realize how much polygon it you mean for the computer to render this effect? Absolutely none of our pc could do that live. Not even with just one frame rate per second (FPS).

!!!RENDER TO TEXTURE!!!

The huge amount of polygons are not the point. All these effects are pre or post-rendered. Reflections or bumby wet runways could be make by a shader supported material systems like in Half Life². Take a look at this screenshot -> Link
On the same way it's possible to add a asphalt texture instead of a transparency into the material and you get the wet blurry effect.

In my opinion: M$ = more money instead of new technology Evil or Very Mad

PhunkMaZ[/quote]

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...