lock ups

Pro Member First Officer
freedspeak First Officer

Am having a problem with lockups. The sim will freeze and there is no way out except hitting the reset button on my computer. Was told it could be a heat problem. Tried taking off the side cover for more airflow ... still happens. Sometimes I can fly for hours with no lockup other times it happens every time I fly. Tried backing off the sliders. No fix.

System specs:
Win XP home
Geforce 6200TC
Athlon 64 3000+
512 memory
40 gig hd

Any ideas,
thanks

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

When you take off the side of the case, point a deskfan at it. If it helps add some case and PCI fans.

When did you last defrag Windows, did you add SP2 or the MS patch 9.1, if so did you have this problem before.

If it happens in the same geographical area or the same weather then it's the MS bug.

What video card and drivers?

Let us know how you do.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
freedspeak First Officer

Thanks for your reply RadarMan,
I defrag at least two times a week. My OS was installed with SP2. The lockups started after I added the 9.1 patch so I suspected it was the culprit and deleted it. Lockups still occured. Reinstalled the patch. The lockups happen at different geographical areas and different weather. I went to the nVidia web site to look for the latest driver and couldn't figure out what to look for. Do you think my graphics card (GeForce 6200TC) could be the problem? How bout more ram?

What's weird is that the other night I took off from my home town airport (Santa Barbara) and flew all the way up to San Francisco stopping at several airports along the way. Flew around the bay area for about an hour and then flew back home to Santa Barbara. The whole round trip took about 5 hours with no lockups.

You mentioned the "MS bug". Is there a bug that could be causing the problem?

The only addons that I added are the Extreme Landscapes and USA Roads but the problem started happening before I installed them.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your card is rather old (as card go) and you might think about a new one, not the latest unless you have the $ for one.
Try rolling back your video drivers, go back one step. New drivers on an old card can cause problems.

Its an odd problem that you are experiencing, one of the other remedies should have fixed it.

The "bug" is for weather and some locations but if this is happening at different times and you have the patch that shouldn't be your problem.

If you are going to keep this machine for a few more years you might think about bringing the ram up to 1 gig.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...