SCENERY DESIGN

Pro Member Trainee
longngone Trainee

I'm interested in building scenery for a few areas, which are very sparse on FS2004. I've never done it, but do have CAD training. Is GMAX the way to go? How do you start? Do you need satellite images, maps, etc? And then just overlay what you know is there or guess? I really need like a 5-10 step sequence and a program that would be good to do this in. I'm interested in creating a few aircraft as well for that matter so any information on either topic would be very helpful. Are there any websites with tutorials? thanks!

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Gmax is a great way to go but I understand it's more difficult to use that this program.

http://www.abacuspub.com/catalog/s371.htm

Aircraft would be GMAX also or this program.
http://www.abacuspub.com/catalog/s492.htm

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2798/microsoft-flight-simulator-2004-sdk-pack-all-kits/ Read this.

(dead link removed) See if this helps.
How do you start, do you want accuracy or an imaginary, now go from there.

Let us know how you are doing, good luck with it.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
longngone Trainee

thanks for the links. I will definitely keep you updated.

There are a few small towns that I like to fly to, and right now there isn't anything there except runway, a few buildings, and then green fields, but in reality they are thriving communities, so I would like to convey that.

Over lunch, I also checked out USA Roads, and Megascenery, those might be the way to go, I'm not sure. I get a lot of satisfaction out of modifing my FS, so I may do it myself anyway. I really want imagery I think more than accuracy. It might be fun to put my parents house, and a few things like that in, but to have a mass of structures to fly over would really add to the sim experience.

As far as aircraft are concerned I will give Gmax a whirl and see what I can do. I've built boats in AutoCAD, and 2D aircraft for graphic purposes, but haven't done anything as dynamic. So we'll see, and maybe I'll have something to contribute.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have USA Roads and that's all it is, the correct placement of all roads (primary and or secondary) not the MS placement. I'm very pleased with it.
Megascenery is another story, I understand it is an excellent add-on but it's 11 or 12 gigs and I don't have the h/d space on this machine.

You could play with this program if you want to.
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/3072/rwy12-object-placer-program-v12/

They also have many downloads to add on to it. This is scenery only.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

I have theme all. On MegaSnenery U may have more details on the major cities. But no more towns ot settlement on the road. I have the same problem as U. I would like to put on the road some reference point. So I tryed some thing called RNW12 . I am sure with that U can do some thing but I never finished. There is a way to put some new points of your own on the GPS as well. By the way except the huge size of MegaScenery as RadarMan mentioned the load time with every turn is very annoying (some 2-3 minutes) . For some 10 $ they have something called MegaBooster .It should to reduce load time . I ordered it, I paid for it and now I am waiting to get it

Pro Member Trainee
longngone Trainee

I think I'm going to install Megascenery DFW, and call it good, and then Roads USA. Hopefully, that program is what it's advertised as and it will provide some reference points for me in the smaller towns. Then I'm going to take the new Abacus Scenery EZ when it comes out and put in buildings in the small towns. I think that will work. That portion of Megascenery requires 1GB, which is a lot, but worth it because my default flights always start in Ft Worth.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...