mach 5.5!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

What do you all think about the supersonic jet talked about on the home page? 😀 😳 Oh yeah, is darklord a member here?

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Look's exciting 😳 !and if it does work boeing and airbus will have a lot of catching up to do 😂

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

I do not believe it will happen ! Mach 5 cannot be achieved this side of space with a turbojet engine due to extreme heat above mach 3. Having intimate knowledge of the SR-71 Program, the limiting factor above mach 3 is compressor inlet temperature. Just after m 3.2 the inlet temp rises dramatically for each addition tenth of a mach. Ain't happening without rocket engines ! ... rob

Andy2005 Guest

Can't see it happenning myself. But that's what they said about about breaking the sound barrier Dont Know
Even if anything like this would be possible it would be incredibly expensive and would take ages to research and dvelop. However, if this is possible it would be brilliant and a breakthrough in aviation. But as I said, it probably won't happen.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

What do you all think about the supersonic jet talked about on the home page? 😀 😳 Oh yeah, is darklord a member here?

I think RadarMan said Darklord was probably Flyaway 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Oh yeah! Doh! I remember that now. Embarassed Sorry for my ingnorance.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

could someone answer these ?'s

how much thrust is gained when turning on the afterburners(reheat)

couldnt you put a high powered turbofan on instead of a turbojet

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Probably 25-45% more thrust, but is dependant on altitude, which would be way above 80,000 ft. I almost said "turbojet/turbofan" in my previous post but decided they were the same for this discussion. It's about the heat...blades are blades, whether in a turbojet or fan. rob

Pro Member Chief Captain

80,000 FEET??? 😳 Bow Down That's amazing!

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Plz remember, when flying it's about airspeed, not ground speed. A jet flying mach 5 at sea level would have mach 5 airflow across it's wings, i.e. it would vaporize somewhere before Mach 2. Therefore altitude is needed where air is thinner. The SR-71, my avatar, is still the fasterest air-breather in the world. Yet it was limited to 427 knots airspeed... so how did it fly at Mach 3.2 and 2000+ mph ground speed? ................................................................................................................................................................................................................ALTITUDE ! rob

spuddi Guest

for the higher speeds I think that SCRAM jets are the future. they have already been tested at a small scale

Pro Member Chief Captain

Habu wrote:

Plz remember, when flying it's about airspeed, not ground speed. A jet flying mach 5 at sea level would have mach 5 airflow across it's wings, i.e. it would vaporize somewhere before Mach 2. Therefore altitude is needed where air is thinner. The SR-71, my avatar, is still the fasterest air-breather in the world. Yet it was limited to 427 knots airspeed... so how did it fly at Mach 3.2 and 2000+ mph ground speed? ................................................................................................................................................................................................................ALTITUDE ! rob

I never thought about that. Very interesting. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Look where we have come in a little over 100 years in terms of flight. From the Wright brothers, to landing on the moon in a little over six decades. In no other period of history has there been such advancements made by mankind... er... humankind.

If (the ubiquitious) "they" say it can be done, then who the heel am I to doubt them. I BELIEVE! 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain

I wonder what it is going to be like 100 years from now. Surprised

I think that they can do it. NASA tested that scramjet at mach 9 if I remember correctly. the plane will need very good aerodynamics or it will have to hike the cruising altitudes past 60,000 feet. But just think about it! flights across the U.S. could take less than a few hours. heck, people might be able to make around the world flights in less than a day!

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

what can be done may not be what is practical in the reality.
I dont think a civilian needs to be in this hurry to travel 5.0 mach and then get stuck in highway traffic for 2 hours after arrival. 5.0 mach speed costs fuel exponentially more than 1 mach for the same distance and same load, whats even worse is the damage to our evironment.......
but FS, fly as fast as you want, no environmentalists will protest 😛

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...