easter eggs

spuddi Guest

post your FS9 easter eggs here:

I know of:

1 the loch ness monster (take off from inverness and head SW)
2 fireworks at midnight dec 31 2003 over any major city (change the clock back and enjoy)
3 the northern lights (aurora borealis) (up in the artic circle at night's)
4 meteor/shooting star (i didn't see this so don't know how to get get it)

what other ones do you know of, come on, there must be more?

Answers 20 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

😳 Here is one page with screenshots.
http://www.bobholland.com/fs/goofs/default.htm

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

Hey!! This is great stuff!!! I havent seen many of the FX that fs9 has to offer. I havent even seen the aurora,,, thing,, Northern lights. I am always too busy with modding planes.
I think I will spend some time checking out all these great FX. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

Kilauea Volcano

Coords:
N19* 24.22'
W155* 17.00'

Set the day to 1 April 1983 and go to these coordinates, which put you inside the active volcano - slew (Y) mode, slew up (F3), then and backwards (Down Arrow) for a spectacular view of the eruption. This is one of the best special effects in the default sim, IMHO.

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

[quote="spuddi"]post your FS9 easter eggs here:

I know of:

1 the loch ness monster (take off from inverness and head SW)./quote]

Like the real world - the FS9 Loch Ness monster is a myth started by Roger Law from Outhouse in 2003 and I have proof -

... Only because I used an editor on it!!! Embarassed

It does occasionall make an appearance, at least one local hotel keeper will always sight her at the beginning of the hoilday season 😂

My home town -well - village - is 50 miles from Loch Ness

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

Take off from SEAttle Tacoma Inter. And head towords the city. Fly low and slow and you will see a large chicken standing on the roof of a house. its interesting!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Flying over Aegan sea in Greece and aprooach island of Skiros from NW.Before u aprooach the island and about half a mile from its coasts u will notice some fishing boats.

Its a nice view.

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

alohajoe wrote:

Take off from SEAttle Tacoma Inter. And head towords the city. Fly low and slow and you will see a large chicken standing on the roof of a house. its interesting!

On a house? Don't you mean the chicken restaurant that is in all large cities? There is also a giant fish and a giant steer for other restaurants. I found that removing the file that contains these creations adds a fair amount of FPS when you fly over highly-populated areas. The increase is substantial.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

How would I be able to remove the files ❓

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

JVD wrote:

How would I be able to remove the files ❓

What I actually did was add to the extender portion of the filename (FS9 in some cases will still use files unless the extender is changed), and then this way if I ever miss the chicken, etc, I can easily rename it again. Here is the folder where it is located:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Autogen\

There is only one file in that folder, and it is called default.xml, so if you add some capital letters after the extension, it will be easy to spot, like so:

default.xmlOFF

There will be no error, it simply will speed up your frames when you fly over populated areas where these fast food joints are located. Try it and let us know what it does for you, but be sure to test it over a city.

Guest Ed Guest

alohajoe wrote:

Yes, the Giant Chicken Restaurant also has franchises in Lima, Peru, and IIRC, San Diego, CA.

There is an oil drilling platform in the Gulf of Mexico, south of Louisiana. Can't remember the name of the nearest airport, but I mentioned it in the last post of my "Mississippi River Tour" thread. Or maybe it was the first thread of the Nile River tour, the two were connected in sim-time.

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

OK i thought the chicken was on a house, sorry Embarassed I'll check out the ones in Lima Peru and the other places! THANKS!! 😎

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

In the SFO area (either South or North of it I can't remember) there is a theme park with a working rollercoaster! If you fly over in a helicopter you can actually land in the middle and watch the rollercoaster go around you. It even periodically stops to let passengers on and off! (not shown though).

spuddi Guest

I'm still on my baron tour of the UK. and last night I flew from inverness to perth following the length of loch ness and yeah your right its not there. I'm gutted that I got sucked in by a hoax.

As for the oil rig. Yeah I know about that one I've even managed to land on it in the jet ranger (i saved the flight so I can practice taking off and landing again). The learning centre tells you about which airport. to take off from. it says head SE but actaully you need to head due E.

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

originalgrunge wrote:

In the SFO area (either South or North of it I can't remember) there is a theme park with a working rollercoaster! If you fly over in a helicopter you can actually land in the middle and watch the rollercoaster go around you. It even periodically stops to let passengers on and off! (not shown though).

Really? That's worth looking for then. I've been to Coney Island in the sim where there are working rides, and that's pretty cool. As to the SFO area have you landed on the aircraft carrier? If you do, be sure to take screen shots for bragging rights, and no fair slewing, lol.

There are three oil rigs I've seen so far in FS9; two near Texas and one off the shorts of Alaska, but if you've seen one you've seen 'em all.

Let's see, what else...oh, Stonehenge is fun.

seeing oil rigs is one thing, landing on them is another!!

Hi,

just to confirm, yesterday I was taking flight via VATSIM from NZCH
to NZAA around 03.00 local time (GMT+1) and spoted a meteor which
flashed across cockpit. It took me about a minute to figure out
what just happened so no scrnshoot 😞, but there are meteor
showers in FS and fast they are.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I've justed edited this post because i really should'nt be allowed anywhere near a computer after a night out!

Last edited by Welshflyer on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
Steve (SpiderWings) First Officer

Oh great..... I was needing more places to check out! Thanks for kicking this old topic to the top. I love this stuff and am surely going to have to visit them all. I might need to sit down with a map of the world and put some pushpins in all these spots so that I can visit them when I'm in the various areas.

orionll Guest

Is Kilauea present in FSX? Will it eurupt in FSX?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

go to norfolk island, the airport is literally floating on water

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...