Air - lines ... ???

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

Is it just me or the dude who made the textures for DC-3 never attended high school. It says "Swiss Air lines" instead of "Swiss Airlines". I've always thought "airlines" was one word.

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
spuddi Guest

the swiss airline is called swiss international air lines. I think the international bit came later.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

spuddi wrote:

the swiss airline is called swiss international air lines. I think the international bit came later.

Actually, it is Swiss International Air Lines. It appears they are aware of upper case letters. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

Bartholomew wrote:

Is it just me or the dude who made the textures for DC-3 never attended high school. It says "Swiss Air lines" instead of "Swiss Airlines". I've always thought "airlines" was one word.

the rubber hoses that are used to pump air into the air brakes of a truck or a bus are called air lines 😀

Guest Ed Guest

I've wondered about the origin of the term "airlines" for commercial aviation systems-- big passenger planes used to be called airliners, but you don't hear that much anymore. Now they are called passenger jets.

I suspect that it comes from the nautical term for a big passenger ship, an "ocean liner." But that probably comes from the old navy term, a "ship of the line," also called simply a "liner." In sea battles back in the days of wooden ships, the biggest ships with the most guns would form a "line of battle" and sail past their enemy's line of battle, and try to blast them out of the water.

So I believe the term airline must derive from the traditional navy line of battle. That's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it. 😀

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

No no no. A few irish guys were up drinkin, and one of them saw a blurry thing streak across the sky leaving a line through the sky. Little did he know it was a leprochaun, but he said "yarr, look at that air...line"

spuddi Guest

I'm not being insulting, i'm also a bit of a spelling and grammar pedant so that one tickled me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Some other companies use instead of Air lines(or Airlines) the word ''Airways''.''British Airways'',Olympic Airways'',Qantas Airways''...etc.

I totally agriee with Guest Ed about the roots of the word ''Airlines''.As a matter of fact the most navigation terms has become from navy.

I only have to make the comment that the word ''line'' has first time used from Greek navy in the BC years and become from the waterline a ship leaves behind it.

Greekamn72 😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...