Challenge

Andy2005 Guest

I have a challenge for all of you. I want you to ee if you can land on the runway 10 at St Barthelemy in Guadeloupe in the default king air.
If you are succesful say how you did it. I can do it (after much practice) but I'm going to keep my technique a secret for now. Good luck
Andy 😀

Answers 26 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Never heard of it but Ill try it now 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Did it first time 😉

I just came in low and then as soon as you get over the hill use reverse thrust and then you will drop veeeery quickly so you nearly land where it says 10 on the runway. Then apply full thrust to add lift so you don't crash into the runway, to achieve a nice landing whilst still staying on the runway 😉

Andy2005 Guest

Nice one. I found that to do it the main thing to do is to engage reverse thrust early as well. However, I didn't have to apply more thrust after. I just did quite a big flare.
Well done for doing it first time. Clap
Anyone else want to give it a try?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I just lived up to my name on that one. Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

Did it first time 😉

I just came in low and then as soon as you get over the hill use reverse thrust and then you will drop veeeery quickly so you nearly land where it says 10 on the runway. Then apply full thrust to add lift so you don't crash into the runway, to achieve a nice landing whilst still staying on the runway 😉

What?!?! Are you guys applying reverse thrust in the air? Blink

You can't apply reverse thrust while you are in the air. It's crazy! Fear
The reverse thrust is used only on ground.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeh you can for some reason in the King Air. It doesn't have a massive effect but it helps. It isn't very powerful 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

You can use it in the King Air? I didn't know that....That's interesting. 🙄

Andy2005 Guest

Yes, you can use reverse thrust in the air flying a kingair. I found it was the only way to slow down to a decent landing speed. Don't worry crashGordon. It took me a few attempts before I could properly bring it to a stop on the runway 😉
Andy

Pro Member First Officer
robbier First Officer

ok, im tryin it right now

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I'm going to have to try it tomorrow, I'll tell you how it goes. Don't the jets apply reverse thrust still in the air. My neighbor just got back from Washington and she said that "the engines seperated" 😂 right before they touched down.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Maybe it was a nice landing and they didn't feel it. Then again, there are some planes that can "seperate" in the air

Pro Member Chief Captain

😂

spuddi Guest

I saw a programm about nasa pilots learning to fly the space shuttle. They had got a modified gulfstream that could apply fully reverse thrust in flight.
as well as all the simulator flights they took the pilots up really high and then they applied reverse thrusts, the pilots had to get the thing on the ground in one shot using the S-turns, as they would in the shuttle.

the programme said that by putting the gulfstream in reverse thrust it then gave it the flying characteristics of the shuttle. which although it is meant to be a glider, obviously must be a worse glider than a gulfstream with engines idle, hence the need to add more drag.

Pro Member Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

I'm going to have to try it tomorrow, I'll tell you how it goes. Don't the jets apply reverse thrust still in the air. My neighbor just got back from Washington and she said that "the engines seperated" 😂 right before they touched down.

Nonono! Jets don't apply reverse thrust in the air. It's forbidden.

As FEM said, maybe it was a nice landing and she probably didn't feel it.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I have concluded that is it impossible to get a MD-83 into that airport

Pro Member Chief Captain

😂 Nothings impossible 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

I spent an hour trying from every possible angle, I guess you could land from the other way, but it's just not as fun.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'll try in some large aircraft later and post screenshots if I manage it 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

OK. I just did it. I made it on first try also. Myabe you are coming in too fast. 😕 I also noticed something, the King Air 350 has spoilers. I can't see them from the spot plane view though.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I just successfully landed a Fokker 70 on runway 10 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

If you want another challenge, try landing a Learjet at SABA (ICAO) or another bigger jet 😉

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Most aircraft, the reversers would be controlled by the "squat switch." The squat switch is part of the landing gear and items that are only for ground operation and are dangerous to flight, are activated by the squat switch, which is energized by weight of aircraft on struts. Or on the other hand, items are deenergized by the squat switch if they would be dangerous in ground operation. rob

Andy2005 Guest

Just landed at SABA in the learjet. Not much runway left.The key for these approaches (or any) is to get your speed down well before.
Any more challenges anyone?

Pro Member First Officer
robbier First Officer

well, a good challenge would be to land a boeing 747-400 on the smallest runway you can find at KIYK

Andy2005 Guest

Done 747 at KIYK just now. I used max autobrake (just to be on the safe side). 😀
Andy

Andy2005 Guest

Does anyone else have any challenges that can test our skills? Please post them. I need something to test myself.
Andy 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...