Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Check this out: www.newairplane.com

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

interesting site. thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I have one major objection to the 380. Can you imagine what it is going to be like trying to get your luggage? Yucky

Pro Member Captain

good point 🙂 , but at least it flyes

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

You got a great point Crash! I think that's going to be one of the biggest problems of that bird.

Pro Member Captain

we´ll see 😳 , exageration, but we will be there to see what happens.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

This topic has come up before, and as we've said before, the 787 and A380 are on very different markets. The A380 is equipped for the LONG haul, and a better rival for it would be the 777 LR which was released not too long ago. I'd be interested in seeing how they match up. The 787 is designed for a more mid-range economical airliner, and probably won't fly any of the routes the A380 is designed for.

As far as economically which company made the smarter move (in approaching the long range vs. medium rance market)? I think that boeing is sitting fine where they are, since they have the 777 still to compete on the longer markets without having to outfit any airport runways/taxiways, and the 787 will fill the gap in the medium range for now. However, just wait for the A350 to come out, then we'll see some pretty big boeing/airbus competition!!

Pro Member Captain

we now it is just an article discusion, and it is not only about specifications, it is a major company discussion.
but u have a point. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

You got a great point Crash! I think that's going to be one of the biggest problems of that bird.

Pray that AmericaWest never uses a 380. There have been many times I've waited for hours or even days for luggage on a 737

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well the two airplanes arnt competition. But the 787 will dominate the medium tange market. I really dont think the A380 will do well. Its basicaly too big and loading and unloading of passengers and baggage will be hecktic. I prefer and love Boeing. I don't HATE Airbus but I don't like them.

AndyM Guest

hey, i noticed a couple of you commented on how getting your luggage will be a prob with the A380. I think it could be an issue, but the airports seem to have it pretty well scouted. I work at an airport that the A380 will be using and they are making some pretty heavy modifications to the terminals for them.

For a start, they are building gate rooms with two floors. So upon arrival to the gate if you are seated on the upper deck, you will go to the top level and board from there. Jet bridges are been built on both levels so both decks can board at the same time.

Secondly, and quite importantly! Bigger stands are being build. The A380 is bigger than the B747 and because its 2 decks will need more catering vehicles and other service vehicles around it, meaning its parking gates need more space.

Thirdly, they are adding in new baggage belts in the baggage hall which are almost three times as big as the regular ones in there at the moment. The only issue I can see with the baggage will be if the ground handlers don't employ more staff to off-load the bags and go along with the same number of staff required for a B747.

The airports in the UK seem to be really geared up for its arrival. However, a lot of the US airports seem to be lagging behind. Virgin Atlantic commented some time ago that LAX wasn't going to be ready for the planes launch flight, and also Orlando Intl really struggles with 747's at the moment anyway. Orlando is a major route from the UK to the US with some airlines operating five daily flights in B747 at peak times. Anyone going through Orlando will know theres a really weird system for Intl baggage. You pick up your bags after passport control, then put them back down again on another baggage system, board a little monorail train and then recollect your bag in the main terminal! Intl flights allow each passenger 2 pieces of luggage to the US, imagine on a full flight with 555 passengers, thats 1110 pieces of luggage!! The Brits usually take there 2 pieces as well because of all the souvenirs they bring back!

It will be great to see what happens when it comes into service! I hope you find this useful anyway!

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

I prefer boeing. It's a great american aircraft manufactorererer.

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

I know i spelled that word wrong . This is my 50th post

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...