Petra, Jordan

Pro Member Trainee
chopper911 Trainee

Anyone know if Petra, Jordon is in Flight Sim 2004? If not is there an add-on? ❓

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't remember off hand if it's there or not (it probably is), you can look through here to see if you can find any scenery.
I checked avsim and couldn't find any.

http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004/whatsnew.php

Radar

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Wow I just read up on Petra in Wikipedia- very interesting! I'd love to see it in fs2004! Does it have an international airport, or does anyone know where I can find a map of the city, or what the closest airstrip is?

Cheers

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Kota Bharu - Petra Airport (KBR)

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

Negative RadarMan. Kota Bharu is the northern-most city on the eastcoast of mainland Malaysia, directly linked by rail to Hat Yai in Thailand. Kota Bharu does have an airport Sultan Ismail Petra WMKC.

For as long as I can remember, Kota Bharu in Malaysia has been a convenient stopover for travellers who need to renew their visa for Thailand.
Even from as far away as Ko Samui in the Gulf of Thailand you could make it to the Thai consulate in Kota Bharu, deposit your passport, pay the bribe and be back in Samui the next day.

Petra in Jordan is a world away in every sense. These days nothing more than an archeological site, visitors are welcome - but only those who are willing to arrive on wheels that (normally) never leave the ground. I've heard that acommodation is available these days, but airport...? Nope.

Think about the Pyramids - you can fly into Cairo but you have to use wheels to get to the Sphynx.

Nearest airport to Petra? Look at the map and take your pick Read

Aqaba is the nearest airport - listed in FS9.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

Negative RadarMan. Kota Bharu is the northern-most city on the eastcoast of mainland Malaysia, directly linked by rail to Hat Yai in Thailand. Kota Bharu does have an airport Sultan Ismail Petra WMKC.

For as long as I can remember, Kota Bharu in Malaysia has been a convenient stopover for travellers who need to renew their visa for Thailand.
Even from as far away as Ko Samui in the Gulf of Thailand you could make it to the Thai consulate in Kota Bharu, deposit your passport, pay the bribe and be back in Samui the next day.

Petra in Jordan is a world away in every sense. These days nothing more than an archeological site, visitors are welcome - but only those who are willing to arrive on wheels that (normally) never leave the ground. I've heard that acommodation is available these days, but airport...? Nope.

Think about the Pyramids - you can fly into Cairo but you have to use wheels to get to the Sphynx.

Nearest airport to Petra? Look at the map and take your pick Read

Embarassed

Radar

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Well you can do scenic flights over the Pyramids, why not Petra?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Aqaba is the nearest airport - listed in FS9.

Affirmative Guest 👍

RadarMan you have filled me with remorse. To see you blush because of a little oversight on your behalf breaks my heart.
Hey, you get it right 99.999% of the time and if you were perfect, you wouldn't be here now, would you? Besides, Petra is a long way off the beaten track and only lunatics like yours truly venture there for whatever reason.
I was in Amman heading for Petra when one of those mysterious 'viruses' struck - so I never actually saw Petra with my own eyes.

I'm almost sure that the place in question is actually mentioned in the Bible (old Testament).

Background

Petra was first established sometime around the 6th century BC, by the Nabataean Arabs, a nomadic tribe who settled in the area and laid the foundations of a commercial empire that extended into Syria. Despite successive attempts by the Seleucid king Antigonus, the Roman emperor Pompey and Herod the Great to bring Petra under the control of their respective empires, Petra remained largely in Nabataean hands until around 100AD, when the Romans took over. It was still inhabited during the Byzantine period, when the former Roman empire moved its focus east to Constantinople, but declined in importance thereafter. The Crusaders constructed a fort there in the 12th century, but soon withdrew, leaving Petra to the local people until the early 19th century, when it was visited by the Swiss explorer Johann Ludwig Burckhardt.
Petra lies about 3-5 hours south of modern Amman, about 2 hours north of Aqaba, on the edges of the mountainous desert of the Wadi Araba. The city is surrounded by towering hills of rust-coloured sandstone which gave the city some natural protection against invaders.

The site is semi-arid, the friable sandstone which allowed the Nabataeans to carve their temples and tombs into the rock crumbling easily to sand. The colour of the rock ranges from pale yellow or white through rich reds to the darker brown of more resistant rocks. The contorted strata of different-coloured rock form whorls and waves of colour in the rock face, which the Nabataeans exploited in their architecture.

The above is taken from here ➡ http://www.raingod.com/angus/Gallery/Photos/MiddleEast/Jordan/Petra/

You'll find more in-depth information by following the link.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I'm almost sure that the place in question is actually mentioned in the Bible (old Testament).

Yes, and it also is mentioned in the new testiment where "at the end of time" all the "goodies" will escape Great Tribulation aka "Armageddon"

In Revelation 12:6 we read, "The woman fled into the desert to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days." The woman is symbolic of Israel. 1260 days is exactly three and one half years--the standard lunar (prophetic) years of the Bible, with 360 days each.

Taken from: http://www.bible-prophecy.com/petra.htm

This is because the only way into the city is a 6000m long tunnel through the rocks...but I don't see why you just fly over in a Helicopter?

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

chopper911 wrote:

Anyone know if Petra, Jordon is in Flight Sim 2004? If not is there an add-on? ❓

and i thought you were going to ask about some nice models!! 😉

Micah 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Micah wrote:

chopper911 wrote:

and i thought you were going to ask about some nice models!! 😉

Micah 😉

That's the part I never mentioned because I thought it was just too Off Topic!

In fact, Petra was my first girlfriend's name... 🤔 ...or was it the second... the third maybe..?

I give up, I'm terrible with names Doh!

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

ahh, now it all makes sense

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...