Flying with a calculator (Pro Sim, I'm lookin' at you)

Guest Ed Guest

I was just looking at (and admiring) Pro Sim's set-up, in his sig photo-- just noticed that there is a calculator on the table, at the back right.

I always have my trusty HP32 at hand when sim-flying, mostly for calculating fuel vs flight time on long flights. If I'm flying VFR, I'll sometimes use a little trig to calculate most direct path to the start of my approach, especially if I'm low on fuel and don't want to waste it.

I suppose real pilots have something more specific to their needs for flying, but I was curious who else uses a calculator while sim flying, and what jobs do you use it for?

Ed

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
crosscheck9 Guest

I think they would use the FMC to make such calculations, however, I'm not sure if there is another tool, or a custom made calculator that is also used. Maybe someone else will come along and help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I often use a calculater to calculate the top of my descent and a which speed to descend 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

Thanks Ed.... I use it for all the reasons already stated (Top of Descent, Fuel / Flight Time, etc) but more often than not simply for calculating Zero Fuel Weight by adding Aircraft Empty Weight and Payload. 😉

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

I use the E6-B Flight Computer.

Guest Ed Guest

SamIntel wrote:

I use the E6-B Flight Computer.

SamIntel,

I had to do a search to see what that is. . . that's a slide rule-type device, or are you using an electronic version? What kind of calculations can you do with that? Do you use that sim flying?

Actually, it occurs to me that persons under a certain age may have never used a slide rule, to know if the E6-B is a slide rule-type device or not. But that's the way it was described on the web page I found. . . 😂

Ed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...