stopping on the runway

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

Ok when i land and i have flaps to full and the breaks are on and reverse thrust is on too. do i actually need to have spoilers deployed aswell if i know im going to stop before the end of the runway?

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

The Spoilers deployed on ground don't help the aircraft to stop. They prevent the aircraft to lift. Now, spoilers deployed in the air help the aircraft to slow down.

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

Actually the stopping power of spoilers on the ground is quite small; what they really do is interrupt the flow of air over the wing, increasing drag and reducing lift.
They are used to slow down while in flight, but their primary function on the ground is to "dump" lift.

So to answer your question, YES. Always deploy spoilers. On real life, many times due to noise restriction or to increase engine life, pilots will not deploy thrust reversers but they will always use spoilers.

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Spoilers are integral to getting weight on the wheels so the brakes can do their jobs. Not deploying spoilers is dangerous 'cuz the plane still wants to be a plane, and planes want to fly, not land, if they are stowed.

spuddi Guest

don't forget that you can arm them on the approach - shift & / - so that they will automatically deploy on touchdown.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...