Around The World In FS09

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

Has anyone ever been round the world in fs09? I want to try and do it on vatsim in one go with a few stops, i was thinking UK to AUS then AUS to USA then USA to UK but i dont know, would that be classed as round the world? Please help me plan my trip guys! anyway where i should go?

Cheers

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Well, if you do UK to Syndey, make sure you test out the 777-200LR and see if it lives up to the reputation! 😂

Pro Member First Officer

Please dont think im being ignorant here but what is its reputation?

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Well, when Boeing came out with the 200LR (long range) model, they were boasting how it's the only plane that can fly non-stop from Heathrowe to Sydney!

Pro Member First Officer

unfortunatly shes not in the scot air fleet, i will have a word witht he CEO and see if we could get one maybe.

Guest Ed Guest

AJWatson2209 wrote:

Has anyone ever been round the world in fs09? I want to try and do it on vatsim in one go with a few stops, i was thinking UK to AUS then AUS to USA then USA to UK but i dont know, would that be classed as round the world?

AJWatson2209,

To answer a couple of your questions, yes, a number of here have flown around the world in FS09. I did it several months ago in a Lear Jet, simply by following the equator west to east (starting and ending in Ecuador). At about the same time, a member here formerly known as The-GPS-Kid did it in a small prop plane, I'm thinking it was a Beechcraft Baron (?), which is a very impressive feat, considering the limited number of places to stop for fuel out in the middle of the oceans-- the Pacific is about 10,000 miles across near the equator. I remember a number of the regulars here saying they had circled the globe in different aircraft; a seach would turn those up.

As far as what would be classed as "round the world," I found the following on the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer web page, describing what was required of them to set the solo-nonstop-around the world record:

"The Federation Aeronautique Internationale's rules state that a record attempt like this must start and finish at the same airfield and cross all meridians of the globe. What's more the course must not be less than the very precise figure of 36,787.559 kilometres (around 23,000 miles) which is equal in length to the Tropic of Cancer. To allow the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer to catch the vital jet stream winds, the FAI rules don't oblige that record attempts follow the imaginary line of the Tropic itself but simply that the distance flown exceeds it.

That doesn't mean, however, that Steve Fossett could fly across the Poles. The course must also be kept away from the North and South "Frigid Zones", defined as being at latitudes of over 66degrees33minutes."

So your route from UK to Australia, etc., would probably qualify, because it's probably at least 23,000 miles. Note that the requirement above is in statute miles, not nautical miles. That would be 19,000+ nautical miles.

Have fun, and send postcards! 😉

Ed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...