Thunderstorms

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I just took a 727 from Nairobi, Kenya to Brazzaville, Congo. The last 900 miles were nothing but a series of thunderstorms. ActiveSky can really make things interesting.

I manage to get to Brazzaville. I line up with the runway and am getting bounced around all over. Just before touching down, I get pushed hard left and my wing goes into the ground. Of course, I live up to my name, Crying or Very sad

Is there a way to counter a sudden stiff crosswind or downdraft at this point?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Crash,

Congratulations. I haven't had anything that violent, but maybe a few gusts. My guess is to see if your fusalage or if your wings are lifting...??? Just guesing. That is all I have on this one... Dang that must have been bad to be one of your passengers.

Regards, 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Oh man. No idea how to help you there. That crosswind stuff is not my brown liquid in a tea cup for sure. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

No passengers. Just cargo. This was one of my Ninja "covert" flights. 😉

It was not a fun storm. The 727's altitude hold isn't very sophisticated and in flight, I was on a roller coaster +/- 400 ft. at times. In the scenario I was running, diverting to another airport was not an option.

Guess I'll send flowers to the families of the crew. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain

By the way, I got some screenshots of the storm while I was still in the air. They should be in the next bunch on the screenshot gallery.

It was cool hearing the thunder on the PC and at the same time it was thundering for real, here.

It was an interesting flight. I kept flying between layers of clouds to avoid being visible from the ground. The weather turned really bad when I got over Lake Victoria. ActiveSky was fantastic.

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Crash,

I didn't know that it thundered and lighteninged in California???? That would have been interesting though. Yeah you better send stuff to the flight crew's families at the minimum. Just think of all of the power in those little clouds...???

Regards,

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...